Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

cheapest way from LA to SF

thesuperjlaithesuperjlai Registered User Posts: 187 Junior Member
i'm visiting LA in late august and want to go up to the bay area for a couple of days. what's the cheapest, easiest and most convenient way to do this? flying costs about 80-100 bucks, amtrak costs about $60 (but of course, takes longer), are there any other options?
Post edited by thesuperjlai on

Replies to: cheapest way from LA to SF

• UCLAriUCLAri Registered User Posts: 14,740 Senior Member
    You can always do a rideshare. Go on MyUCLA and poke around the forums.
  • VTECaddictVTECaddict Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    greyhound?
    Greyhound will run around $80 for the round-trip.
  • JinobiJinobi Registered User Posts: 1,184 Senior Member
    For Greyhound, if you get another person to travel with you, he/she can get a Companion Rate that takes off 50% off for their ticket. So, in effect, both of you get 25% off.
  • mikemacmikemac Registered User Posts: 10,254 Senior Member
    don't take Amtrak!! It would just about be faster on bike. The train up the coast is really slow, a complete waste of your time.

You should fly, unless you value 8-10 hours of your time at less than $20 or so.
  • kollegkidkollegkid Registered User Posts: 1,007 Senior Member
    Bike and camp. It is completely possible.
  • CharismaCharisma Registered User Posts: 710 Member
    ^
    :/ You couldn't pay me enough to do that.
  • liyana179liyana179 Registered User Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    if you really research your airplane tix, and plan enough in advance, you can get tickets for $50. just takes more planning, is all. southwest offered a promotion like this in the spring- you just have to look for them.
  • zer0c123zer0c123 Registered User Posts: 235 Junior Member
    Its too bad southwest doesn't work out of san francisco anymore. They were usually the cheapest whenever I needed tickets.
  • bartlebybartleby Registered User Posts: 1,222 Senior Member
    Virgin America LAX to SFO will be $88 roundtrip, plus taxes, roughly $110 total.

Plus, you get to fly Virgin America. How sweet is that?
  • 3togo3togo Registered User Posts: 5,233 Senior Member
    edited July 2007
    making the trip on a bus or by car is not quick ... you basically will spend a day traveling each direction ... so unless you're want to kill 2 days traveling I'd fly. FYI - the coastal drive from LA to SF is amazing but it does take a day.
  • bessiebessie Registered User Posts: 1,818 Senior Member
    Southwest flies from LAX to Oakland and is very cheap. You can catch the BART train (schedules and maps online) over to the city from Oakland. In fact, some people think it is easier to fly into Oakland and do this rather than flying directly into the SFO airport.
    I've driven from LA to SF in about 6 or 7 hours. If you just take the 5, you can do it pretty quickly. It's just...not exciting.
  • VTECaddictVTECaddict Registered User Posts: 2,486 Senior Member
    ~5.5 hours for me on I5
  • liyana179liyana179 Registered User Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    "the" 5 :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.