Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I owe back taxes can I get financial aid?

greenedlgreenedl Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I will try to make this short... I will be a non-traditional student if I can get aid. I owe alot in back taxes and have horrible credit due to a business failure and crippling divorce. After I pay child support and my tax levy I make next to nothing (about 5k a year). My fiancee lives with me and makes about 8k a year. I have my children 50% of the time and cover their medical insurance as well. I receive no government aid and I receive no tax refunds, the IRS keeps those as well. I claim the children every other year per the divorce decree. The levy is brand new; prior to the levy I made $12K a year roughly. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. My desire is to enter nursing, try to do something with my life and show my kids that no matter what there is hope. I am a recovering alcoholic and addict and I believe that nursing is a way to give back. DG
Post edited by greenedl on

Replies to: I owe back taxes can I get financial aid?

  • latetoschoollatetoschool Registered User Posts: 3,143 Senior Member
    Greened, have you approached the Taxpayer Advocates Office to try to get the levy removed?
  • hsmomstefhsmomstef Registered User Posts: 3,579 Senior Member
    yes -- you can get FA, back taxes oweing or past due child support will not impact the awarding of federal or state FA.

    however, as a non-traditional student you will have a few extra hurdles to jump. First -- nursing tends to be a fairly competitive program, so just getting admitted can be tough. Second -- you can recieve FA, but the financial aid is limited; you will still need to work (probably full-time) in order to pay living expenses.

    I qualify for pell grants, colorado state grants and my university also awards me an institutional grant -- and I attend a 4-year university which is very cheap in comparison with most state universities. Even with all that financial aid, it only covers 12 hours of tuition, required fees and books. you will need to work in order to pay for your living expenses -- I work ~35 hours a week, so it is doable.

    I am also a non-traditional, low-income college student. Your best bet is to attend a community college for two years and earn an AA degree. Not only is the CC cheaper but it is set up for non-traditional students, so there are multiple classes at different times to work around work schedules.

    most community colleges offer a guaranteed transfer program to a local 4-year university -- and many offer transfer scholarships. Make sure you meet with a counselor and go over requirements, etc.

    unless you actually get married, your fiancee's income will not be counted towards your financial aid determination.
  • huguenothuguenot Registered User Posts: 514 Member
    Another advantage of community college is that you can get an AA in something that will allow you to work in the health care field (good money) while you get that RN.
  • 2collegewego2collegewego Registered User Posts: 2,710 Senior Member
    Hugenot, you can get an RN after a 2-year AA. :-) You just have to find a program.
  • dlbarberdlbarber Registered User Posts: 246 Junior Member
    One of our local CC's has a 2 year, excellent RN program!
  • greenedlgreenedl Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks for the info everyone. I have started the process of having the tax levy removed. I have also already been accepted to a nursing program. It is a private college. I will have to work more than full time to stay surrent on my child support as I do now. I know this will not be easy but nothing worth it is. My ultimate goal is to enter the Frontier School of Nursing but that is way down the road, in the meantime I am just happy to know I can get some assistance.
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    My question is- if you have so many financial obligations already- child support, a fiancee who makes less than $1000 month, owe back taxes, pay for children's medical ins- are in recovery...
    why in heck are you planning on attending a private college- when community colleges have very good nursing programs for less cost?

    I would also be concerned that not only are you digging an even larger financial hole for yourself by taking on additional debt on top of your back taxes owed and your child support, but if, as you claim you will need to work more than full time to pay these bills, you will also need time to study and attend class- but when will you be able to see your kids?
This discussion has been closed.