Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Hi there! You may have noticed things have changed on this site. You can learn more about that here.

Typical College Day?

2»

Replies to: Typical College Day?

• Student35Student35 Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    Ok, so how about this.

Including homework, classes, everything, all added up, do you have more free time than high school?
    Infinitely so. High school I was in school/class for 6 hours every day. In college, the total amount of time I spend in class on MWF is 2.5 hrs and on TR is 2.3 hrs. But you also have to factor in a job (for example: work study) which, in my case, takes up anywhere from 1 to 4.5 hours every day (although this is going to vary greatly between individuals).

How about factoring in homework/studying time? I got by in high school with minimal homework most days, but that changed in college. Yes, in college you are in class less, but you have much more reading and studying to do outside of class. A full-time student generally spends 10-15 hours per week in classes. Out of class, the amount and intensity will vary by major. As an upper-level history major I spend at least 30 hours per week on schoolwork outside of class. College should be roughly the equivalent of a full-time job.
  • quitejadedquitejaded Registered User Posts: 1,816 Senior Member
    8:30 - Wake up
    9 to 1 pm - go to class
    1 to 2 pm - eat, run errands
    2 - 3 pm - go to class
    4pm onward - do whatever I want to do. Study, run errands, watch TV, go shopping, see professors, eat
  • Orion8Orion8 Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    i definitely have more time than high school. i also agree that free time varies greatly from student to student.

last semester i had class MW from 1230 to 400, T from 8-5 (with an hour break from 930-1100), Th from 9-1. Tuesday I had o chem lab.
    Fridays I had two classes, one from 10-11 and another from 5-6.

I had a lot of time to study/do homework/watch TV. mostly watch TV. on weekends though, i would go through a problem set for o chem, usually 40 problems long. which meant ten problems a day if i split it up for each day.

next semester i have all of my classes in the morning, ending at the latest 2 (TTh). I landed a research position in a lab on campus so I'll also most likely be in the lab every day. I'll be much busier than last semester, but I'm looking forward to it.

Cramming does not work for my major! Molecular and Cell Biology equals time every day studying, doing problems, and rereading the book. I think it's impossible to move forward in lecture effectively without studying every day.
  • UVMerUVMer Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    I could be a unique case, however I did far more homework in high school than I did in college because I had 5 classes every day and by some standards one could make the argument that it was a harder high school. I'm a full time student in college and I do much less work, and I am in an intensive, upper level language course, a history survey class, and political theory class on top of math and economics. It's really all about finding balance, between what work is necessary and what work isn't necessary to achieving the grade you want. It's all relative to your note-taking ability, the amount of material that is covered in and out of class, and how well adapted you are to keying in on what assignments are important and which are extraneous.

edit: and to be honest, you're "an upper level history major." Your "gig" so to speak is reading and digesting large amounts of historical writings. I would even go so far to say that you're an exception to the norm in regards to the amount of reading/work expected.
  • boyhoodboyhood Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    MW
    Wake up at 8:30.
    Get ready and eat breakfast and go over homework till 9:58 AM
    Walk to class -10 AM
    Class : 10-11 and 11-12
    12-1 Lunch 1-4 Work
    4-5 Nap ( really important)
    5-6:30 ( Dinner... its a big affair)
    7-9 ( Practice/ Chilling/ Massive Homework)
    9-11 ( Club meetings and homework)
    11 PM-1 AM Write notes for class / talk to roommates / call home/ Organize for the next day

Tu/Th
    Wake up at 8:30.
    Get ready and eat breakfast and go over homework till 9:58 AM
    Walk to class -10 AM
    Class : 10-11
    11-12 Chill in room
    12-12:45 - Lunch or studying
    1-2:30 PM Class
    3:00- 5:00 Work
    5:30- 6:45 - Dinner
    7-10 - Practice Meeting

10-1 AM Homework/ get ready to go to sleep

Friday
    Work 9AM- 11:45 AM
    Calc 12-1
    Lunch 1-2
    2-3 ( Nap)
    3-8 ( Chem Lab/ Section)
    8- Whenever (PARTY!)

Saturday
    Studying/ sleeping/ club meetings/ volunteering/ Partying

Sunday
    Church/ Studying/ Sleeping / Winding Down
  • Student35Student35 Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    UVMer wrote:
    I would even go so far to say that you're an exception to the norm in regards to the amount of reading/work expected.

What do you believe is the norm?
  • shan324shan324 Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    this fall:
    M/F: 1:25-2:15 class. spent the rest of the time doing work on mondays and hanging out and i usually go out on friday unless its i'm too burnt out from the week

T/Th: wake up at 8:30
    class 9:30-10:45
    lunch at 11:30
    class 2-3:15
    hang out/do work until practice from 8-9:30

W: wake up at 10
    class(independent study) 11-12:30
    lunch
    class 1:25-2:15
    hang out/do work
    I usually go out every weekend, sometimes fri and sat. i hardly ever do work on saturday but always do work on sundays until chapter at 5:30

Spring '09:
    M: class(independent study) 11:15-1:45
    lunch/do work/hangout

W/F: no classes :), probably will have a job these days

T/Th: classes(3) 9:30-1:45
    lunch
    practice @8
    I'm gunna love wednesdays and fridays!
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Registered User Posts: 2,844 Senior Member
    last fall:

Monday through thursday classes from 8am to 1:30pm (include hour-and-a-half break for food and nap)
    1:30pm until whenever I decide to go to sleep= free time to eat, study, hang out with friends. Typically my schedule ends up like this;
    1:30pm: lunch
    2pm: 2 hour nap
    4pm: homework
    5pm: dinner, chill with friends
    8pm: some sort of club-extracurricular
    10pm: chill with friends
    1am: 2-3 hours of kinda-studying (while also hanging out with friends)
    4am: go to sleep
    7am: wake up and repeat

Fridays-Sundays are obviously different when you add in football games, partying, and more studying (studying mostly left to Sunday nights).
  • erhswimmingerhswimming Registered User Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    Fall Semester:

MW
    6:00-Practice
    7:30-Breakfast
    9:30-1:45-Class
    4-6-Practice
    6-7:30 (wednesday)-SGA
    Evenings-Homework, sometimes on Wednesday go out

T,TR
    6-Practice
    7:30-Breakfast
    9:30-12:15-Class
    12:30-2-Meetings
    2-3:15-Class
    4-6-Practice
    6-10 (tuesdays only)-Meetings
    Evenings-Homework, Thursdays go out

Friday
    9:30-Wake up, class til noon
    12-3-Sleep
    3-4-Office Hours
    4-6 Swim
    6-Go out to dinner

Saturday-either swim meet or homework/work and going out at night
    Sunday-recover, homework

This semester will be so much better, though, with only 1 class MWF at 1, and swimming ends in February. So hopefully work/internship will be added.
  • zpmqxonwzpmqxonw Registered User Posts: 1,052 Senior Member
    MWF
    5:00 Breakfast / check email
    6:00 Run
    7:15 Shower
    8:30 - 12:30 Class
    1:00 - 5:00 Work
    5:30 Dinner
    6:00 Homework
    8:00 Sleep

T, TR
    5:30 Breakfast
    7:00 Physical therapy
    8:30 - 12:30 Class
    1:00 - 5:00 Work
    5:30 Dinner
    6:00 Workout
    7:00 Shower
    8:00 Sleep

Saturday - Spanish class (morning), homework (afternoon), home for dinner
    Sunday - XC ski class, homework, get stuff in order for the next week
  • Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,513 Senior Member
    The big advantage of the typical college day is that YOU are in control. If you don't feel like going to class, you don't have to (although some profs do take attendance). That's not always the best idea, but if you stay "home," no one will be calling your parents to report your truancy. College is a big step toward establishing (or enhancing) personal responsibility.
  • SherlockianSherlockian Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    It definitely varies depending on the student and the school. In my case, at a small arts university as a film student, my days are much, much busier than in high school. Weekdays are filled with classes, and I spend almost every weekend working on set for student productions. And, unlike what Dave_Berry says is true for most colleges, we are not allowed to miss academic or film classes unless we have a very good reason.
2»
This discussion has been closed.