Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Decisions 09

Replies to: Decisions 09

• MamaBearMamaBear Registered User Posts: 153 Junior Member
    I still stand by my earlier statement that my D's male friend was accepted to MT...learned today that he has already given his intent to enroll. Maybe he was early action?
  • soozievtsoozievt Registered User, ! Posts: 31,495 Senior Member
    MamaBear, I don't know when your D's friend got his news but Syracuse does have Early Decision.

In fact, if he gave his intent to enroll, it makes me think he is not waiting for other school results. In fact, if he got in under ED, he would have to pull his candidacy from other schools. Did he audition all winter? That would be a sign as to whether he did or did not apply ED. However, conceivably, someone in the ED round at a college can be deferred until RD, but in that case, he would not yet have his results.

I do not believe people have heard yet from Syracuse in the RD round.

(However, ya never know from year to year if a school changes things....such as informing an outstanding candidate early or some such....every school has a different system of notification.....but Syracuse's has been in batches in mid March for several years now)
  • BrownEyesBrownEyes Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    I know of a very talented girl who auditioned for Syracuse's MT program a few years ago, and who received a telephone call just weeks after her audition to let her know that she was accepted into SU's BFA MT program and how badly SU wanted her. The phone call definitely came before official letters were sent.

I believe this girl also applied to other BFA MT programs that made decisions on a rolling basis, and she had some nice scholarship offers from those other schools. It's my understanding that SU just wanted to throw their hat in the ring before she committed to another BFA MT program.

Perhaps this is what happened to the friend of MamaBear's daughter and it may explain why he was notified of his acceptance before anyone else. Doesn't SU ask students to disclose what other schools they've applied to? Perhaps this is why ...

Otherwise, as SoozieVT said, I'm quite sure that SU does not have an ED option for any of its BFA programs.
    Brown Eyes...

Two things....I believe that Syracuse does have ED as an option for the BFA.....where the student would then be notified of the admissions decision in December and it would be BINDING.

Second, my own daughter was admitted to Syracuse for the BFA in MT four years ago. She first learned of her acceptance by phone, before the official mailing. Her acceptance letter is dated March 11 (I just checked). I can't recall the date of the phone call, only that it was before March 8. I just remember being home when she received the call, and her getting off the phone and telling me she was accepted to Syracuse and the faculty member called her. I know I left on a trip on March 8 and when I returned on the 13th, my D was in a serious car crash and landed in intensive care and was in the hospital a long while (got some acceptances in the hospital, including the Syracuse packet). So, I know the call was before I left and before she landed in the hospital. Thus, it is conceivable that some candidates are called before the letters go out. But I feel that still happens in March. I bet things will get going with Syracuse very soon.
  • knarfydnaknarfydna Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    I don't know if it means anything, but Syracuse is on spring break this week.
  • goldust7goldust7 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Check your email, my daughter just got accepted!! Thank you Lord!!
  • NewbieMTMomNewbieMTMom Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    Congrats goldust7!!!! GREAT news! My D is a freshman MT at SU. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. What a happy day! The program is great by the way!! My D loves it there.
  • goldust7goldust7 Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Thank you so much Newbie MT Mom, we are so thrilled. It was my daughter's first audition and it's been a looooooooooong 10 weeks since that day. We were particularly excited by the Tepper Semester that they offer. I will PM message you when I know what to ask!!!
  • seasidegardenerseasidegardener Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    So glad I checked. My daughter just got the great news. This has made her day.
  • onstageonstage Registered User Posts: 1,250 Senior Member
    Congratulations to both of you. Like NewbieMTMom, feel free to PM me with questions. My daughter is a junior in the MT program, and we are also very happy with the program.
    Congratulations to both of your daughters! Syracuse is a really good program.
  • anstachelanstachel Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Yay! Just got my letter of acceptance to the Syracuse MT program!
    I'm so happy for all of you!! Congrats -- it's a major accomplishment to get in! They said they were reducing the number of kids they were going to accept this year so it's even that much more exciting!! It's a great feeling to get that acceptance letter after so much angst!! Good luck trying to sleep tonight :)
  • perischackperischack Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    Joining the club! My son auditioned in NY the first weekend in January, and we've been playing the waiting game ever since. It was thrilling to receive the email this afternoon. Congratulations, everyone. Here's to you and our wonderful, talented kids!!
    Wonderful news perischack!! Congrats to your son!! Again, such a huge achievement!

So what's everyone accepted for? MT or Acting?
This discussion has been closed.