right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

80% Graduation Rate.

davezhandavezhan 304 replies81 threadsRegistered User Member
Caltech has a relatively low four-year graduation rate, compared to most leading US universities. This rate is currently about 80 percent."

80% is pretty good for a top-tier tech school, which boasts an extremely rigorous curriculum. Think about it.
edited April 2009
14 replies
Post edited by davezhan on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 80% Graduation Rate.

• python38python38 1096 replies208 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Maybe it's just me, but that does sound pretty low, all things considered; although I guess that that might be because it's quite a "different" university - not necessarily bad, just different, and a lot of people aren't aware of that difference when they choose to attend, and they end up dropping up because they didn't know what they were signing up for.

It's a great university, though. I'm applying this autumn. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • dLodLo 328 replies0 threadsRegistered User Member
    It's actually quite low for a top tier school. Most of them are at least 90% if not 95% and higher. I think I remember scanning down a set of rankings once, and the first school to be around 80% other than Caltech was some random state school.
    · Reply · Share
  • lizzardfirelizzardfire 1550 replies27 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    python--I think your assessment is pretty dead-on. I would agree with that.
    · Reply · Share
  • JNTJNT 110 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Another factor is probably that some people here take five years to graduate
    · Reply · Share
  • QuelloquialismQuelloquialism 65 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Data for the class entering Caltech in Fall 2001:
    - Total number of students entering the university: 214
    - Total number of students graduating in four years or less (before August 2005): 175 (81.8%)
    - Total number of students graduating in five years or less (before August 2006): 189 (88.3%)
    - Total number of students graduating in six years or less (before August 2007): 191 (89.3%)

...but I'm too lazy to look up the numbers for other universities, so I'm still not exactly sure how this compares. =P
    · Reply · Share
  • BalaylayBalaylay 367 replies27 threadsRegistered User Member
    That's slightly terrifying.
    · Reply · Share
  • urichimaruurichimaru 49 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Oh my gosh, it makes Caltech sound crazy hard. Is getting a pretty good GPA pretty manageable and not stressful?
    · Reply · Share
  • FlipYouFlipYou 24 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    o0o0o crazy
    · Reply · Share
    Bear in mind that not all majors are of equal difficulty. It's possible that these graduation rates are deflated by majors which either have a large number of requirements, or else include some courses which are very difficult or something like that. Just guesses, though, I don't have any numbers to back that up--it sounds reasonable, though. As for whether good GPAs are hard to come by, I don't really know--I'm just a frosh, so I haven't had anything on real grades yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • webhappywebhappy 265 replies13 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    LOL, it's so amusing when the 80% figure comes up. Hell, I remember thinking it looking pretty daunting. But if you talk to the alums from two decades ago, they will mention that ~1/3 of the people would fail out of Tech (or transfer, presumably)!
    · Reply · Share
    Funny story, you don't even have to go back that far to see some of the really scary stuff.

Data for the class entering Caltech in Fall 1996:
    - Total number of students entering the university: 216
    - Total number of students graduating in four years or less (before August 2000): 156 (72.2%)
    - Total number of students graduating in five years or less (before August 2001): 177 (81.9%)
    - Total number of students graduating in six years or less (before August 2002): 183 (84.7%)

But this isn't really cause for concern, I think, because it's getting better. Clearly, if we assume that the rate of change of the four-year-graduation rate is constant, then the current prefroshies here should enjoy a four-year graduation rate of 97.1%. And by the entering class of 2011, more than 100% of entering freshmen will graduate on time! Yay!
    · Reply · Share
  • silver-ymssilver-yms 148 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It's still around 80%.

I graduated last year, and I remember being surprised by how few of the entering freshmen in 2004 didn't get their degree in four years.

Stats (based off manually counting from http://pr.caltech.edu/commencement/08/bs.pdf with help from donut, facebook, and memory):

Entering freshmen: 212
    Graduated in four years with honors: 96 (45.3%)
    Graduated in four years without honors: 69 (32.5%)
    Didn't graduate in four years: 47 (22.17%)
    · Reply · Share
  • fizix2fizix2 3388 replies182 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-search-selection/596884-usnwr-2009-looking-data-xxi-4-year-graduation-rates.html

well we're certainly not georgia tech
    4-Year Graduation Rate , National University

90% , Notre Dame
    90% , Georgetown
    89% , Princeton
    88% , Harvard
    88% , Boston Coll
    87% , Yale
    87% , U Penn
    87% , Dartmouth
    86% , Columbia
    86% , Duke
    86% , Northwestern
    85% , Vanderbilt
    85% , Brandeis
    84% , U Chicago
    84% , Cornell
    84% , Johns Hopkins
    84% , Brown
    84% , U Virginia
    84% , Tufts
    84% , W&M
    83% , MIT
    83% , Wash U
    82% , Caltech
    82% , Emory
    80% , Stanford
    79% , Wake Forest
    78% , Rice
    78% , NYU
    72% , Lehigh
    71% , U North Carolina
    70% , Carnegie Mellon
    70% , U Michigan
    70% , U Rochester
    66% , UCLA
    66% , USC
    66% , Rensselaer
    66% , Tulane
    64% , UC Santa Barbara
    63% , U Illinois
    61% , UC Berkeley
    59% , Case Western
    58% , Penn State
    56% , UCSD
    53% , U Florida
    51% , UC Irvine
    48% , U Washington
    48% , Yeshiva
    47% , U Wisconsin
    47% , U Texas
    43% , UC Davis
    33% , Georgia Tech
    · Reply · Share
  • python38python38 1096 replies208 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Maybe Caltech is also the type of school that traditionally "introverted" people go to...? I'm going out on a limb here, but it's an interesting thought.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity