Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Residency Question

ILMom2009ILMom2009 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited April 2009 in Parents Forum

I have a question regarding in state tuition and residency requirements.

I am divorced and live in IL with my daughter. Her Dad lives in Madison, WI.

My daughter's top pick for schools right now is UW Wisconsin in Madison.

Is there a way that she could qualify for in state tuition as her father lives in the state?

Thanks in advance for all responses.
Post edited by ILMom2009 on

Replies to: Residency Question

  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 16,045 Senior Member
    She may according to this

    Residence for Tuition

    Best to check with the school.
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,461 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, the answer is that "it depends." It is certainly possible, but varies from state to state. If her Dad has lived in Wisconsin for 12 months prior to enrollment and claims her on his tax return, I'd say there is a good chance. It may be worth it for him to claim her, if he doesn't already, if it changes the status. For some states, the requirement is that the resident parent provide at least 50% of the support but there is no requirement for claiming the student on the tax return. I would call the admissions office at UWM and ask.
  • ILMom2009ILMom2009 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member

    Thanks for your speedy response!

    I'm will check with the school but this seems to fit our situation...key word is one:

    Any minor student, if one or both of the student's parents have been bona fide residents of this state for at least 12 months next preceding the beginning of any semester or session for which the student registers at an institution.
  • ILMom2009ILMom2009 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thanks Cartera.

    I'll be making a call tomorrow to inquire.
  • gadadgadad Registered User Posts: 7,772 Senior Member
    Rules vary in different states, but some things are relatively typical from state to state:

    Must "establish domicile" in the state for at least 12 months before matriculating
    Must have some reason other than college for moving to the new state
    Shouldn't rely on funding from out of state
    Can't start the 12-month clock for in-state tuition while going to school in the other state
  • cartera45cartera45 Registered User Posts: 12,461 Senior Member
    gadad - those criteria sound like those for in state tuition for an independent student. For a dependent student, it is not uncommon to be able to qualify for in state status based on a parent's domicile and support, regardless of whether the student lives in the state or not.
This discussion has been closed.