Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

is this bad? hurt my chances? my background?

jasonrock194jasonrock194 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited June 2009 in College Admissions
Well i am going into high school and i just think i should start thinking about college. Middle school went by quite fast. The middle school i went to was a 'Magnet' School if you know what that is. The workload was quite arduous on top of that i came to the U.S in 3rd grade and i lack alot of background knowledge. My parent don't speak english or anything. Thus they can't part take in my education in a way you can say i am responsible for my own education.
The School i went to had alot of smart people that excel in math,science,and comp sci and ppl that excel overall. Their parent made them take classes outside of school, hook them up with summer programs and go out and visit places. Overall their parent kind of make them do alot of extra circular over the summer and during school year. Like Music,Sport and Tutor. But for me my parent have to work everyday and don't have the resources and time to send me to those things. I try to teach myself but i am not the best teacher >.>;
but i plan on doing alot of things in high school hoping it'll help me get into college and shape my education. I am also going to a Magnet High school so it's rigorous i guess. I also took the real SAT for pratice b/c if you take it in middle school the score goes away(i think) i got a 1650, which it's kind of bad compare to my friends.

So my real question is: Will not taking classes and having stuff to do outside of school, like piano, sports or etc affect my chances of getting into a good college?
i mean i will be doing clubs and stuff but that's kind of still in school. Well i think of course it does affect my chances but like how? to what extend, what dramatic effects will it have? Thanks
Post edited by jasonrock194 on

Replies to: is this bad? hurt my chances? my background?

• dchow08dchow08 Registered User Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    First, you really shouldn't be thinking about college that much yet. Wait a few more years before you really start thinking about it.

The people who admit students to college do not want students who just go to class, go back home, and study. They want interesting students that are a lot of fun to go to college with. So as long as you're doing something with your free time, and not just staying home and watching TV all day, you'll be fine. When I was in high school, I was in a few school clubs that I really liked. You don't have to do sports or piano or tutoring. Just do something you really like.
  • idk11idk11 - Posts: 290 Junior Member
    Nooooooooo. Wait as long as possible to introduce yourself to College Confidential.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 12,707 Super Moderator
    Start thinking about college in earnest during your junior year. It's really a bit too early for you to really think about it -- you have no idea where you will be in 5 years.

Just keep your grades up and do the things that interest you. Colleges evaluate you in the context of your environment and your factors; they understand that not everyone has the money to put their kids in a zillion afterschool lessons and sports. Do what you really like and what you can afford and what you have time for, and you'll find places that suit you just fine.
This discussion has been closed.