Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Co-op Question

ilovedogs414ilovedogs414 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited February 2016 in Drexel University
I have a question about the cooperative education offered at Drexel.

I've been told two things.

One is that while you're on co-op, for example, for the spring and summer terms, you would not have to pay tuition during your co-op session. What you do pay for is the tuition fees (which is like $790) for the co-op spring and summer terms since you're still an official Drexel student. (I heard that, while you do not pay for tuition while on co-op, you still have the option to take up to 4 classes; if you choose to do so, then you pay a little extra.)

The other thing is that I heard even while you're on co-op, you pay for tuition. For instance, if tuition per quarter was 14k, you would be paying a total of 56k (spring-summer co-op + fall and winter class terms).

So, do you still pay tuition while you're on co-op?

Thanks

Replies to: Co-op Question

• vchauhmyvchauhmy Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    In my opinion, basically when you are on coop you will pay $790 - so two quarters of coop you will pay $790 x 2 = $1580

The rest will be divided by 2 (after scholarship), and you will pay that amount for the other two quarters when you at school. You can check your tuition and fees on Drexel One and I think it's slightly change every year.

One more thing, you can only take ONE class of 4 credits while on Coop, not 4 classes. And no you don't have to pay any extra because no matter how many credits you take between 12-20 (if you're a full time) you will pay the same amount.

That's how I paid for tuition. Some people they chose an option of splitting the tuition equally per month or quarter. That's another story, and I have no idea how it works. But if you don't change anything, I believe it should work that way.
  • ilovedogs414ilovedogs414 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    In other words, you only pay $790 for the two quarters you are on co-op while you pay 15k each for the other two terms you're not on co-op?
  • bhmommabhmomma Registered User Posts: 627 Member
    @ilovedogs414 you may have that you pay tuition while on coop because that is what Drexel used to do. Both my D (high school class of 2012) and my son (HS class of '14) applied to Drexel and it changed between them. I clarified that during my son's info session because that was a significant factor for my D's decision.
  • momneeds2nomomneeds2no Registered User Posts: 755 Member
    you don't pay tuition while on co-op, but you still pay fees (about $750 per quarter) and yes you can take a class, either on line or on campus if your in Philly. You will also need to pay for your housing etc while on co-op. Some kids find co-ops close to home, some stay in Philly and live on campus, some go to other cities or even find international co-ops.
This discussion has been closed.