right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
2 DAYS until our "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Ask your question NOW if you are a registered member!

Drexel Neighbourhood

jain652jain652 2 replies2 threads New Member
I am an international student and will be applying to Drexel and some other colleges but I really like Drexel due to its co-op program. My concern is that I heard that drexel neighbourhood i.e. philly is not a very good or safe so I wanted to know if it is worth applying there or not and are these things superficial or like a major threat?
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Drexel Neighbourhood

• jain652jain652 2 replies2 threads New Member
    I am not thinking of excluding Drexel as of now. Its merit based and need based scholarships are really attractive.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 13219 replies247 threads Senior Member
    How does Drexel handle co-op for international students who are on educational visas? That's one thing I'd check.
    · Reply · Share
  • SoofDadSoofDad 1227 replies38 threads Senior Member
    I went to Drexel way back when and it was a rough neighborhood, but I didn't have any problems, although a few of my Fraternity brothers got robbed.

It is a MUCH nicer neighborhood now.
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreKidOneMoreKid 63 replies9 threads Junior Member
    Definitely very safe. Our freshman loves it and can't imagine himself anywhere else. Loves Philadelphia as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • jain652jain652 2 replies2 threads New Member
    Thank you very much!
    · Reply · Share
  • BrianreBrianre 1 replies0 threads New Member
    A few years ago, it was a much rougher area. I was there recently and was pleasantly surprised at how much nicer it was now. There are some very bad neighborhoods not too far away, but the area right around campus is fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • chmcnmchmcnm 384 replies4 threads Member
    We've visited twice. S20 has applied and S21 probably will apply next year. He likes the co-op program as well.

The neighborhood seems to be safe. From people we've talked to the area has improved over the years. It seemed clean with some newer buildings mixed with some older buildings and neighborhoods. That said, it's an urban campus and you have to be aware of your surroundings but that's true anywhere.
    · Reply · Share