Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

East Asian languages and International Relations

badrphoenixbadrphoenix Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
edited October 2005 in Duke University
Does anyone know how comprehensive these programs are at Duke, especially when it comes to international relations? It would also be helpful if anyone taking Japanese, Korean, or Chinese at Duke would tell me about how strong they think that the language curriculum is. Thanks a lot.
Post edited by badrphoenix on

Replies to: East Asian languages and International Relations

• chuckleybobchuckleybob Registered User Posts: 219 Junior Member
    I am a PubPolicy/Econ major taking Chinese right now here at Duke. The PubPolicy major is the closest thing to Int'l relations that we have. In fact, you can Major in Public Policy with a Concentration in Foreign Policy, which I guess is basically the same thing. It's one of the foremost programs in the country. The faculty is top notch and you get a number of opportunities to intern in America or abroad. As for the Chinese, it is also one of the most highly respected Chinese programs in the US. The head professor is a leader in the field. The classes that I have had are extremely intense though. Very fast-paced and difficult, but you definitely learn alot. You learn about 250 characters in the first 5 weeks if that gives you any frame of reference. Anyway, I would write more, but I have to run to class. Hope this helps
  • ay_carambaay_caramba Registered User Posts: 757 Member
    I take Chinese. I would agree with chukleybob, the Chinese language program is very strong, I love it.
This discussion has been closed.