Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Who did not write the optional essay

agentbaueragentbauer Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
edited January 2007 in Duke University
and got in?
Post edited by agentbauer on

Replies to: Who did not write the optional essay

• ammarsfoundammarsfound Registered User Posts: 688 Member
    right this is disheartening.
  • pagEL60pagEL60 Registered User Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    Yes yes please post if you got in but did not write the optional 'why duke' essays.
  • PsychedelicSushiPsychedelicSushi Registered User Posts: 162 Junior Member
    I would like to know this too, because even though Duke says it does not factor into the decision, I think it does.
  • SBRSBR Registered User Posts: 2,780 Senior Member
    I don't remember an optional why duke essay at all...0.o I just had a mandatory why-Pratt essay or something along those lines.
  • mellowmellow Registered User Posts: 412 Member
    i think that's what he/she means ... ehh i still have yet to write that >.<
  • SBRSBR Registered User Posts: 2,780 Senior Member
    Well, not to be cynical, but if a why-Duke essay is such an annoyance/challenge then why apply to Duke? You have to actually like the place if you are gonna go there for 4 years. If you can't even be bothered to write 2 paragraphs explaining why you think you want to spend the next half-decade at a place then maybe that place isn't for you...
  • FreshElephantFreshElephant Registered User Posts: 1,039 Member
    I only did mine like one paragraph long. . . DAMIIT
    whats wrong with that? they only asked for a paragraph or two
  • EliHopeful07EliHopeful07 Registered User Posts: 388 Member
    At least you did it!
  • Go BeyondGo Beyond Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    how long does it have to be? like how many words?
    It said a paragraph or two, if I remember correctly. It's optional, short, and completely up to you
    right so what they're saying is that it wont disadvantage you if you don't fill it in, but they will advantage you if you do.
    Who knows, I don't work in admissions. I did it--the application is really easy so not doing it would show a lack of effort
  • Shobhit2006Shobhit2006 Registered User Posts: 611 Member
    i did it and i tried to make it good too : /
  • kryptonsa36kryptonsa36 Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    SBR, the "Why Duke?" essay was for Arts & Science applicants (who could also write an optional essay on research experience). Pratt has just that single "Why Pratt?" essay instead.

And yes, I agree that it would look very suspicious to not be answering "Why here?"-type questions. Personally, I think leaving it blank could be a deal-breaker if you don't have other things going for you. Or maybe after being admitted, they'll give you less merit scholarship money since you don't seem genuine in your desire to attend Duke. (Of course, some people who write the essay still might not be genuine, but at least they made the effort to appear so.)

The essay isn't for Duke to gloat in the glory its applicants shower on it; it's for you to give your take on admissions and explain how Duke fits into it.
This discussion has been closed.