right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Do Not Attend Earlham College

rozela16rozela16 1 replies2 threads New Member
I am a current student and feel that the incoming class MUST know this before they enroll. I could give you all a long answer, but I would seriously recommend that you DO NOT ENROLL AT EARLHAM COLLEGE. They are in a financial crisis that is predicted to have them close by 2025. They also cut my aid in half. Now I only have my merit scholarship of $21k and no other assistance. That means I have a bill of over $32k, which I can't afford. I am assuming they will cut aid for more upperclassmen to give more money to freshman in the future. I was also assaulted here even with video tape and circumstantial evidence, yet they have done nothing. They let the men get away with it and they are on the football team (they are extremely rich). I will say that the only redeeming quality of Earlham are the fabulous professors. Outside of this though, there's nothing good about this school. You're not safe. I'm not trying to be vindictive, but people need to know the truth before they enroll. I have decided to transfer to a state school that will cost me max $10k a year for all of these reasons. Private message me if you have more questions, I will try to be as honest as possible with you.
46 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do Not Attend Earlham College

• tk21769tk21769 10687 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Most colleges reassess FA awards every year. What was Earlham's justification for cutting your aid in half?
    Did you submit a FAFSA on time? Did it not show a significant change in your level of financial need? Could a fair, impartial observer reasonably conclude that your aid was cut only due to a change in Earlham's financial condition?
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7944 replies158 threads Senior Member
    A total of 4 posts, all on the same topic.

I'm not doubting your sincerity, merely questioning your objectivity.

What do you mean when you say "you're not safe"?? Is that about physical safety or financial safety? I think you said in another thread that you're a sophomore? Why did you choose to return this year?
    · Reply · Share
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan 12669 replies29 threads Senior Member
    @bjkmom, well, I read the following in the original post:
    "I was also assaulted here even with video tape and circumstantial evidence, yet they have done nothing. They let the men get away with it and they are on the football team (they are extremely rich)."
    · Reply · Share
  • ColchisColchis 9 replies2 threads New Member
    Rozela16 - I'm with allknac: You really need to check your facts before making such an unsubstantiated assertion in aa public forum. EC is not going to close because of financial reasons by 2025. There are plenty of SLACs with much smaller endowments than EC (Kenyon, for example).
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 9038 replies110 threads Senior Member
    @barrons: Thank you for posting.

I am not a fan of the book Colleges That Change Lives for a few reasons including the financial difficulties at some of the schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • Cjesusinme1Cjesusinme1 118 replies59 threads Junior Member
    So, is it going to be closed by 2025????
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6126 replies10 threads Senior Member
    ^@cjesusinme1, I don't think that's a concern.
    · Reply · Share
  • Cjesusinme1Cjesusinme1 118 replies59 threads Junior Member
    I mean, the president is resigning and I'm pretty sure it's because he sees the future of Earlham. He is not confident enough to stick around and improve the campus. He doesn't even give enough reasons to why he is resigning. I am in doubt because I feel like I made the wrong college choice. I was in love with the college! :(
    · Reply · Share
  • alooknacalooknac 1281 replies16 threads Senior Member
    I don't think the President's view of Earlham's future changed drastically in the one year he served. I think he and the board had some insurmountable differences in how to resolve the problems.

The board and the President took a vow of confidentiality. That decision might have been mutual or at the insistence of either party. You can't assume that the President is just refusing to give his reasons.
    · Reply · Share
  • shawnspencershawnspencer 3098 replies12 threads Senior Member
    According to the article:

"Heightened competition for a shrinking demographic pool forces colleges to dig deeper into their coffers to offer ever more generous grants. The result, Hull wrote, has been "an unsustainable drawdown of unrestricted endowment funds, jeopardizing the long-term future of the College.

The trustees’ statement said that "some reductions in faculty programs are likely to be required" but that the mission of the college and its commitment to shared governance won’t change

Earlham was facing pressure to enroll more students who could pay close to the full sticker price, while Price (the president) was known to feel strongly about the importance of continuing to further diversify the student body by attracting more first-generation and minority students."

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Questions-Swirl-as-Earlham/243821

I do think given that the OP goes to the college, his concerns should at least be taken seriously as a warning, if nothing else. It does seem like Earlham is facing financial difficulties and honestly many colleges have very poor track records with dealing with assault.
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof2ddadof2d 226 replies15 threads Junior Member
    @BB Thank you for your perspective.
    · Reply · Share
  • shawnspencershawnspencer 3098 replies12 threads Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing @BB!
    · Reply · Share
  • BBBB 131 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Also... Not for nothing, but...
    Earlham's scholarships (the "merit money") are generally guaranteed for four years... as long as the student continues to meet the threshold of academic requirements established for that scholarship.

And financial aid grants are on a formula which means that they should only go down if your financial situation changed in a way that would warrant that.
    But... If one's financial situation improved, it seems reasonable to believe that one might be expected to pay more.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 6126 replies10 threads Senior Member
    Thank you, @BB.

I am always impressed by Earlham grads -- how grounded and thoughtful they are -- and when we visited this school, we were wowed by the commitment to teaching. And friendliness!

Schools with a true commitment to diversity, accessibility, and inclusion have a real dilemma on their hands when it comes to finances and wanting/needing full pay students. I am not an insider, but I could imagine that for a Quaker school, this tension is is huge, as it challenges a commitment to equality.
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10798 replies173 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2018
    Should there be concern regarding the rate at which students continue at and graduate from Earlham though? Based on my year-old copy of U.S. News, Earlham tends to underperform in this area. By absolute figures, students graduate within 6 years at a rate of 67%. When compared to the expected rate (73%), this represents an underperformance of 6 percentage points.
    edited July 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof2ddadof2d 226 replies15 threads Junior Member
    It is interesting that Forbes gave Earlham College an "A" financial grade in 2017.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity