right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Human services or Elementary Education degree?

MelodyxMelodyx 34 replies21 threads Junior Member
edited August 2019 in Education Majors
I am torn between getting an associates in human services or elementary education degree. I decided that I would like to work with children. I like the idea of counseling, helping, therapy, teaching,assisting, but not sure if I have what it takes to be a teacher.. also, don't know in which way I want to 'help'

While both degrees are very different and help in different ways I am not sure which to choose.
I like the idea of working in a school system, but I also like to have different options in terms of job opportunities and not be stuck with just one thing. Which is why I am afraid if I were to pursue elementary education then I would have a degree just for that one specific thing, as opposed to a broad field (human services/social work)

I am currently an administrative assistant for the past 10 years for a real estate company, if I were to get my elementary education degree do you think I would have the possibility of working as a school admin assistant or can that open doors to working within a school system even if not as a teacher?
edited August 2019
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Human services or Elementary Education degree?

• MelodyxMelodyx 34 replies21 threads Junior Member
    Btw, wanted to add that I am aware that I won't be able to teach with associates..perhaps teacher's aide. If I were to pursue elementary education then I would def aim to get a bachelors and license.

As of human services, then I would aim to go straight into the work force with associates.
    · Reply · Share