Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Double Major at Elon? And other questions!

EJmusicmanEJmusicman Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
edited April 2010 in Elon University MT
I was wondering if it is possible to double major at Elon with a BFA in MT and a BA in Broadcast Journalism? Also, at Elon is it a little easier to be accepted as a guy than it is to be accepted as a girl. I understand that at Elon one must be talented, but at Elon do a much larger number of girls apply (like all MT schools)? Also, what else is in the area of Elon. I have been to Raleigh and it is far away from Elon. Is there anything else there besides the school?

Thanks so much!
Post edited by EJmusicman on

Replies to: Double Major at Elon? And other questions!

• mtdog71mtdog71 Registered User Posts: 498 Member
    I mentioned somewhere else that I had lunch recently in NYC with an Elon MT faculty person, so I know they had about 540 persons audition this year. As is typical at any MT program, the women outnumber the men - probably about 400 women applied. Regarding double majoring, why don't you simply contact the school? They can give the direct and correct answer to that. I have been to Elon on several occasions. Raleigh is 45 minutes away, Greensboro is 30 minutes away. the school itself is nearest to Burlington, which is a suburban setting. I do not think the students have any lack of interesting things to do.
  • EJmusicmanEJmusicman Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Thanks for the info! I did actually contact the school, and they gave me this answer.

"It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to double major with [business, journalism, communications.] The demands of each program would have you at odds almost immediately, especially if you were to be cast in a show and were in production every night! You certainly can minor though in any area."

I still feel a little unclear though about if it is possible at all to double major...
  • AlexaMTAlexaMT Registered User Posts: 610 Member
    When asked at auditions, it's pretty much a no. If you want to stick around an extra year or so, it mayyyy be possible but it's basically impossible to do in 4 years from what I understood.
  • EricsmomEricsmom Registered User Posts: 1,224 Senior Member
    My personal opinion is that a double major between 2 Elon schools would be very difficult. The MT program is very demanding. We know a few people that have double majored in MT and dance, but even this combination, in the same performing arts area, is very challenging. (The MT students are able to take quite a bit of dance within that major alone, without double majoring.) I wouldn't recommend trying.

Also, the MT students have something going on all the time, so finding entertainment is seriously not an issue at all. If one chooses to go out, as mentioned above, they are very close to some major cities, but honestly, Burlington has about anything you could ever want or need. This includes shopping, restaurants, movies, etc. The town of Elon is like a suburb of Burlington. It's a great place!!!
  • PneumyPneumy Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    My son started out as a double major in MT and Business and found it extremely difficult and was recently told he would have to choose one or the other. He also had problems with some of the business faculty not comprehending the hours that the MT's keep. One particular class wanted the students to work in groups, which is fine unless you're in a show that rehearses until midnight 5 days a week. Needless to say, he had to drop the course. He will take his BFA in MT and a minor in Business. He continues to take business courses beyond his minor, so maybe someday he will finish out his business degree. So he is a little disappointed but very proud of everything he has accomplished at Elon so far.
This discussion has been closed.