right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Brian Williams?

rockvillemomrockvillemom 6941 replies184 threads Senior Member
edited February 2015 in Elon University
This national story hits close to home for Elon. He is an Elon parent and was a recent graduation speaker. He was the featured guest/speaker at a fall fundraising kickoff for the School of Communications - he is also a major donor for the new building - part of which will be named for him. A bit awkward.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/nbc-launches-probe-into-brian-williamss-statements/2015/02/06/b9d57eb4-ae2b-11e4-9c91-e9d2f9fde644_story.html

http://www.elon.edu/e-net/Article/102255
Elon University launched the public phase of its fundraising drive for new School of Communications facilities at an Oct. 16 gala event for alumni, parents and friends at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan. NBC Nightly News anchor and managing editor Brian Williams, national chair of the school’s advisory board and father of Elon graduate Douglas Williams ‘13, emceed the event. More than 1,000 members of the Elon community turned out to add their support to the $15 million campaign and learn details about the new buildings.
Williams and his wife, Jane, have made a gift to name one of the school’s broadcast studios, which is located in the existing McEwen Building. The renovated studio will include a digital news headline ticker framing an exterior window that opens onto a plaza that provides a new pedestrian entrance to campus at the corner of Williamson and Lebanon avenues.

We rcvd a fundraising letter in the mail this week from the School of Communications - prominently mentioning Brian Williams. Quite the timing!
edited February 2015
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Brian Williams?

• rockvillemomrockvillemom 6941 replies184 threads Senior Member
    Just came across this:
    ELON — Controversy over NBC Nightly News anchor Brian William's inaccurate story about his time covering the U.S. invasion of Iraq will not affect his relationship with Elon University.

“He has explained his mistake and taken responsibility for it,” Dan Anderson, vice president of university communications, said Thursday. “I don't anticipate there being any changes.”

Williams has had a close relationship with Elon, especially its School of Communication, for several years. His son Douglas graduated from Elon in 2013, the year Brian Williams gave the graduation speech. He is also on the School of Communications Advisory Board, hosted a New York gala in October launching a fundraising campaign for the school, and is a significant donor to the campaign.

Because of the gift, Elon will put his and his wife's name on a television studio in the school's remodeled McEwen Building. The Jane and Brian Williams Studio will be on the ground floor and have a window open on downtown Elon, not unlike the studio for the TODAY show, Anderson said. Anderson would not say how much the gift was.

“Certainly we will continue,” Anderson said.

http://www.news-record.com/news/elon-to-maintain-ties-with-nbc-s-brian-williams-video/article_1cbc1462-ae17-11e4-9585-ef09b4a72678.html?mode=jqm
    · Reply · Share
  • marie1234marie1234 1313 replies0 threads Senior Member
    Wow. A disgraced news anchor's name on a building. How impressive.
    · Reply · Share
  • mortgagebkrmortgagebkr 85 replies6 threads Junior Member
    My wife and I were wondering the same - as to how this would impact the new building
    · Reply · Share
  • FatheroftwogirlsFatheroftwogirls 18 replies12 threads Junior Member
    While I do not know how this will finally play out, this I know.....if charities, universities, and other recipients of large donations carefully vetted their contributors....there would be less of both (recipients & donors)
    From Elon's perspective, this too will pass....and so they say...."Long Live Elon"
    · Reply · Share
  • SanFran563SanFran563 5 replies0 threads New Member
    The school will continue with his name. Whether you respect his career decisions or not, the money he gave his very real, and therefore deserves to have his name inside the building just like the other handful of donors. The communications school will not be named after him, just a wing inside of it. I respect that Elon will not turn their backs on a family that has been nothing but helpful and generous to them since day 1.
    · Reply · Share
    I'm on the fence here. It's not "career decisions" - it's his tendency to embellish and exaggerate news stories to promote his role within the story. Elon has held him up as a role model - does he still merit that treatment? Donations can be returned. Does it benefit Elon University or Elon students to be associated with a disgraced news anchor? Hopefuly he can turn things around and regain respect in the future. But he has not redeemed himself yet.
    · Reply · Share
  • FatheroftwogirlsFatheroftwogirls 18 replies12 threads Junior Member
    Within our society, I observe a great distance between people that show grace and those who have disgraced themselves, their families, and so on. Why, we even have former presidents that have disgraced our country. I worry less about the association and more about altruism.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity