right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Things to do at Elon??

liricelirice 0 replies3 threads New Member
hey i’m a high school junior and i’m really interested in elon right now!! i went on the tour and it sounded and looked great but when i researched it more at home it sounded like a big party school for rich white conservative kids. Is that true? If I’m not the biggest partier are there other things people do there? Are there people that aren’t that stereotype/is that really the majority of students? Thanks!!
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Things to do at Elon??

• citymama9citymama9 2502 replies142 threads Senior Member
    @hopefulgirl3 That was an excellent post and so helpful
    · Reply · Share
  • cakeisgreatcakeisgreat 745 replies41 threads Member
    I have a couple questions if you know...Do you know about how Elon works with getting internships or research for sciences? Are students pretty much on their own or is there a career fair where employers come out? Any info on kids doing the pre-med track?

How prevalent is fraternities/sororities...what if don't want to join? Can students find good friend groups without that? Lastly, is there any decent clubs on campus for church groups?

Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • hopefulgirl3hopefulgirl3 30 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Since I'm only a freshman, I'm not sure about internships quite yet - although I am a bio major :)

To get an internship, you can ask professors you're close to, find one on your own, or go the center that specializes in that (career center I believe?). Doing undergrad research is typically with a professor's guidance so you'd most likely communicate with them as well in that case.

There have been multiple career and pre-professional school fairs here within the first semester. I know there was a med school/PT/PA/nursing grad school fair with many reps a couple months ago. Employer fairs are often, probs 2-3x a semester.

I'm on the pre-med track (called the pre-health track here). There is a prehealth email list with information on such fairs and lectures and meetings that could be of importance to us as well. You automatically get put on this if you check prehealth interest when picking your courses for freshman year. Many students I've met are pre-med here but I wouldn't say there's a high pressure environment where you feel competitive- more like you want to all help each other succeed :) Professors try not to weed out and will support you even if your GPA is not up to standards - biggest class that kids change from being pre-health is gen chem instead of orgo.

As for greek life, about 1/3 of the guys and 60ish% of girls are affiliated. I think it's great and you should rush to at least get a sense if it's for you - it helps in networking and for leadership positions :) - also just fun - but if it's not I know many upperclassmen who are unaffiliated. As I mentioned above there's lots of other stuff to do.

As for religious stuff, I know we have a great Catholic Campus Ministry group. They host fun events aside from religious ones, some involving dogs :) You can even live in a catholic LLC as a sophomore and older.

I have friends who are Jewish and do the Jewish organization here. They say it's lots of fun and they're all very close. There's a Jewish frat too haha

As for other religions, not too sure, but services are always offered on campus and I'm assuming they must have something - again only a freshman :)

Hope this helps!
    · Reply · Share
  • hopefulgirl3hopefulgirl3 30 replies2 threads Junior Member
    as for my summer plans as a pre-med, I'm shadowing two doctors (pediatrics and dermatology) and traveling Europe for the summer - no internships planned until later on :D
    · Reply · Share
  • cakeisgreatcakeisgreat 745 replies41 threads Member
    Very helpful thank you!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1531 replies31 threads Senior Member
    @hopefulgirl3 or anyone else, any new comments on the social scene described above? A little concerned about the party school reputation I am hearing, for a nonpartier son (but he does like to have a social life). Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • MadaldadMadaldad 14 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Why did you ask the same basic question on 4 different threads?
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1531 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Trying to increase my chances for a response, I guess. If this is bad netiquette I can delete.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity