right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

Getting Home During Breaks

megamooomegamooo 4 replies5 threads New Member
edited September 2010 in Elon University
Wanted to ask about the ease of students carpooling home during breaks, specifically from NC to MD. Does Elon facilitate a "list" of ride-sharing opportunities? TIA
edited September 2010
29 replies
Post edited by megamooo on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Getting Home During Breaks

• ncmentorncmentor 1330 replies16 threads Senior Member
    There is a section on Elon's internal web site... But quite frankly so many students come from all over the East Coast that you will likely find someone within a week or two of starting school who may be going near your destination...
    · Reply · Share
  • kieranskierans 129 replies21 threads Junior Member
    What about if a student is flying home for break? Is there any transportation to the Raleigh-Durham airport?
    · Reply · Share
  • marmelanmarmelan 13 replies1 threads New Member
    The school runs shuttles to the airports before all of the breaks.
    · Reply · Share
  • ncmentorncmentor 1330 replies16 threads Senior Member
    And students drop / pick-up each other off at the airport.
    · Reply · Share
  • megamooomegamooo 4 replies5 threads New Member
    Thanks so much, everyone! This is our first daughter heading off to college, and there are so many new things to learn!!
    · Reply · Share
  • nydancemomnydancemom 472 replies5 threads Member
    The school does have shuttles to the airport at break times, but they are very expensive and also not convenient with times and have to be booked very far in advance. We used it once, for daughter's first trip to the airport in her freshman year. For the next trip, we contacted a local cab service and paid a little more, but had door to door service and more convenient timing. After that, once she had friends with cars, she has always had friends drive her. We give them gas money. Many Elon kids have cars on campus. It isn't hard to find someone willing to make a few bucks. And there is also the Elon want ads online, where you can ask for a ride. Also,in my daughter's department, and this may be true in other departments, I don't know, the kids can send out an email to only their department, and often will do that asking for a ride. Has never been a problem to find a ride.
    · Reply · Share
  • Lafalum84Lafalum84 7382 replies150 threads Senior Member
    Went to a "welcome party" for incoming Elon students and parents last night. A parent asked how many kids go home for the short fall break in October. The answer: most of them. If your kid doesn't go home, they might go to a friend's house. The campus will be very empty that weekend. There were some parents who just assumed that since the break was so short, most kids wouldn't bother to travel home.... don't make that assumption. I was also told the same thing by the parent of an Elon senior.
    · Reply · Share
  • noccamtmomnoccamtmom 39 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I think it depends how far away the student lives. My son came home his first year but because all of his hometown friends go to different colleges no one else was back in NOLA at that time. Last year he stayed at Elon and a bunch of them found stuff to do. he plans on staying this year as well. The shuttle service costs $35 to GSO and $45 to RDU whether the student needs a one-way or round-trip ticket. Tickets are non-refundable. .

Students must sign up at least fourteen days before the first departure of each break to be guaranteed a seat. After this reservation period, seats will be on a first-come, first-serve basis until the designated spots are filled.

To reserve your seat, visit https://www.elon.edu/webservices_1/airportshuttle. All reservations must be completed online and paid with credit card. Remember to print your receipt for your record. If you do not see a confirmation number on your receipt there has been an error. Please contact the Moseley Center Front Desk to resolve this issue.

In feb of 2008, I booked a private shuttle for my son to audition at Elon it was $120 r/t.
    · Reply · Share
  • TexasmotherTexasmother 84 replies11 threads Junior Member
    Thanks so much for the info about break. That is very helpful. What are the names of the shuttle companies?? I am hoping maybe my d will find someone to share the shuttle ride.
    · Reply · Share
    Back to megamoo's question, Elon has signed up for Zimride, which is an online carpooling service. I don't know how it works, but this is from a recent Elon newsblurb:
    The Zimride carpool service launched for faculty and staff over the summer. Students will have access to the same service in September
    source:E-net! - Elon leaders preview 2010-2011 school year
    · Reply · Share
  • noccamtmomnoccamtmom 39 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Elon U listed the following shuttle and cab info on their website when I googled it.
    http://www.elon.edu/docs/e-web/students/campuscenter/Airport%20Transportation%20Information.pdf

Hope this helps.
    · Reply · Share
  • Rex212Rex212 240 replies6 threads Junior Member
    Tons and tons of students have cars and it's more than likely your child will have friends who will be making the trip. Finding a ride isn't hard usually.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks for the great information. I saw the info on zimline and will keep these numbers handy. I think there is a limo out of Mebane. I have to get their number too. The key will be my D taking care of this. All a part of growing up and taking responsibility.
    · Reply · Share
  • megamooomegamooo 4 replies5 threads New Member
    Thanks to everyone for all of their helpful information!
    · Reply · Share
  • middletownmommiddletownmom 7 replies0 threads New Member
    Yikes, just pricing flights for Thanksgiving break. $630 from Raleigh into Newark. More than doubled what I paid last year. But if I can get my DD to leave on Monday nite, only $294. No shuttles though.
    · Reply · Share
    My daughter was an ED acceptance so I knew last December that she'd be flying this Thanksgiving. I bought her Thanksgiving ticket last FEBRUARY. Non-stop, RDU - Boston. $279. :D
    · Reply · Share
    I too have an expensive flight ( over 600). I booked mine in late June. Southwest opened their schedule earlier than usual. I have been doing this for 4 years from Ind. and I have never seen prices like this. I asked about leaving earlier in the week and the academic advising office said there are often exams before the holiday. This is when I am jealous of those who are within driving distance!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • BLK616BLK616 93 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I just read about the shuttle from Elon to DC (actually northern VA) I believe it's $100 round-trip. Great deal!
    · Reply · Share
  • rodneyrodney 9267 replies139 threads Senior Member
    there was an idea on another thread that may help those who have not made flights yet....if you offset the Tues of Thanksgiving flight with the flight back in January and offset the Sunday of Thanksgiving flight (back to ELon) with the flight home in December, apparently this saves $$$; it is legal because you will be using both halves of each round trip (albeit from different reservations).....

i.e. RT #1: RDU-EWR Tuesday of Thanksgiving
    EWR-RDU January ??? (after winter break)

RT #2: EWR-RDU SUnday of Thanksgiving
    RDU-EWR December ??? after finals.....

just a thought.....
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity