right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
1 DAY until our COVID-19's impact on admissions webinar, tomorrow at 3:00 pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Prescreen Results

skylarmtskylarmt 26 replies19 threads Junior Member
edited December 2018 in Emerson College MT
I’m curious to hear if anyone passed the prescreen. I got my results back within two days - I wasn’t asked back for an audition. It’s hard not to feel personally offended, but at the same time, how is a one-minute vocal prescreen a good representation of your musical theatre talents as a whole? In my opinion, there is so much more than vocals (even though it is my strong suit), that goes into MT. I’d love to hear what you guys think.
edited December 2018
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Prescreen Results

• CaMom13CaMom13 2217 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Hey @skylarmt - as you know a lot of applicants are on the main MT board so you could check there. I would encourage you NOT to take a prescreen rejection personally - TBH, you could have been knocked out based on gender / acting type / voice type / etc rather than talent and training - prescreens allow schools to decide who they want to audition and if you are a petite blonde soporano and they already have 5 petite blonde sopranos that might have been enough to knock you out. Look at it this way - if they don't have a slot in their program for who you are they are doing you a favor by saving you the work and expense of an audition. Everyone gets rejections - go out there and find the programs that want you and let go of the programs that don't.
    · Reply · Share
  • skylarmtskylarmt 26 replies19 threads Junior Member
    @CaMom13 Funny you say that because I am pretty much a petite, blonde soprano! Lol! Thanks for the advice
    · Reply · Share
  • skylarmtskylarmt 26 replies19 threads Junior Member
    @CaMom13 I’m a little upset bc I didnt read that it wasnt necessary to submit your app with your prescreen so I paid $65 for nothing :(
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 2217 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Welcome to the club, sweetie! So much money gets wasted in this process - we paid application fees at a school that didn't prescreen - but ran out of slots! At least you aren't wasting any (more) time on this school too. :) Too funny - I have heard multiple times that your "type" can be tough to get slots for ... so persevere and don't take rejections to heart.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3Blessings3Blessings 47 replies8 threads Junior Member
    I was told that Emerson got approximately 1200 Prescreen applications, with about 550 passing for a live audition.
    · Reply · Share
  • DramaLove2020DramaLove2020 266 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I sent in my Emerson prescreen 3 weeks ago. I did catch the part about only having to pay for the prescreen first before applying so I saved myself money! However I haven't heard yet. I had looked for someone to email but can't find a contact.
    @skylarmt how were you notified? On the portal it just says RECEIVED and I can't seem to find any other info?
    · Reply · Share
  • lmkikerlmkiker 16 replies3 threads Junior Member
    DramaLove2020, did you get an answer to this? My daughter heard back about 3 weeks after submitting. She got an email saying prescreen result was now available on their portal.
    · Reply · Share