Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is Emory a party school?

10817361081736 Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
edited December 2010 in Emory University
I get that impression after reading reviews on *****.

Would you say that Emory has a big party scene?
How would you compare the party scene with Rice? (I heard Rice is more academically driven).

I'm not the party-ing type person at all, and after reading about this on u n i g o, i'm starting to re-think applying ED II to Emory..

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that there are always people who don't party, but I generally don't like being in an atmosphere where most people are out partying and getting drunk every weekend..
Post edited by 1081736 on

Replies to: Is Emory a party school?

• emorydeacemorydeac Registered User Posts: 114 Junior Member
    Welcome to college. This is true of nearly every college including the very elite. I would not classify Emory as a party school , but the majority of students are "out partying and getting drunk every weekend". This is really the only disappointing aspect of Emory for my son. Hate to break this to you, but graduate and professional schools are the same way. Schools such as Wheaton, Pepperdine and Furman have less partying, but it is still there. Good luck in your search for a "non partying" school.
  • 10817361081736 Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    Ok, I know it's still there, but i mean how big is this scene? Would you say that like more than 50% of the students do it?
    Definately greater than 50%. However, other than Wheaton and possibly Pepperdine, I know of no other "good" schools which have under 50% partying. My son visited Rice and the partying was also prevalent on the weekend. The key is to find your own group of friends who do not party. My son has found these through church and service organizations. He loves Emory but is disappointed in the number of people who party on the weekends.
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    I don't party and I've still got 6-7 people to do other stuff with every weekend
    ^ would you say that you're the only 7-8 people who are like this?!?!
    Ok, i know that the asians tend to segregate themselves at Emory, so I'd like to know, do the asians party every weekend as well?
  • eastafrobeautyeastafrobeauty Registered User Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    since im muslim i don't drink ( l swear i dont even know what beer tastes like) so im not into the getting drunk aspect of partying..although i'd probably enjoy laughing at people getting drunk. I know how to have fun w/o drinking..but im still interested in attending parties.

Atlanta sounds like so much fun! i know somebody that goes there and she told me that Emory offers shuttles/rides to go clubbing in ATL so you can find other people to go with ...
    eastafrobeauty- lol this is making me even less motivated to go to emory... people regularly go clubbing?! I'm really opposed to clubbing..

which leads me to ask another question: are emory students mostly pretentious people? I like being around down to earth people who don't care excessively about their physical outlook
    Emory people are extremely down to earth and laid-back, even the NE (well, at least compared to NE students from other schools). Most people do not go clubbing regularly, although that is available. 1081736, Emory treats it's students like adults and provides amazing opportunities in all aspects of student life. You determine how you live your life. This is not high school and Emory will not and should not tell any student how to live their life. It is a great school and the students are very non judgemental. If you are opposed to any lifestyle unlike your own, you will definately not like Emory or any other top 20 school for that matter.
  • rer678rer678 Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    There are plenty of people who don't party, or at least not in the typical sense. On weekends you'll find everything from going out into Atlanta, going to big frat parties, studying, or watching a movie with a group of friends. Partying happens at all colleges, but as far as colleges go, I definitely would NOT classify Emory as a "party school."
  • Nighthawk17Nighthawk17 Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    Emory is an elite university that is not known as one of America’s party schools. Plenty of college guides publish lists of the top twenty party schools in America, and none of them are similar to Emory. On the other hand, there are plenty of parties at Emory. If you are party-intolerant, you might want to check these same college guides. They usually recommend places like:
    Brigham Young University
    Wheaton College (IL)
    College of the Ozarks
    Grove City College
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    ^ would you say that you're the only 7-8 people who are like this?!?!

No, that's just in my dorm. I bet about 10% of kids here are like that. That doesnt sound like a ton, but its over 100 people. Which is plenty to choose friends from.

Honestly, you're growing up. You'll have to learn to deal with people that party/smoke/have sex/etc.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,328 Senior Member
    I know a lot of people that don't really party. Heck, yesterday I didn't feel doing it so I went and hung out w/ some video-game nerd friends and played video games for the first time in like two months (I'm a huge super smash fan, even though I suck now lol). I still ended up having fun. There were over 7-8 people in this, and I seriously doubt these folks overlap w/Aluminum's group of friends lol. So that adds up to 14.
  • icfireballicfireball Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    Emory actually used to have a major party school rep in the mid-90s, but Emory cracked down in the quest for better rankings and academic prestige. The truth is that with a strong greek scene (33% of the student body), and Atlanta being a huge nightlife city, Emory has a pretty strong party scene. At the same time though, academics are still the top focus for most here, so even those that party are serious about their studies.

I certainly wouldn't worry about Emory being too much of a party school -- there are a lot of people that don't party much, espessially when you get to be an upperclassman.

In general, I would say people overestimate how many people party and how often they party because people who party are for obvious reasons a lot more visible than people who don't. Anywhere you go, you'll see a lot of partying. But Emory is very diverse, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who are like you and don't like partying a lot.

Just as a personal anecdote, of my three best friends here, one of them is not a partier and only parties for special occasions, and the other two party quite a bit and go out a couple of times a week.
    :(... This sucks. I thought Emory had WAY more variety than this.. I know all colleges have parties, but at Emory, parties seem dominant in particular. This sucks man. How would you compare the party scene with that of Rice, Hopkins, Tufts, and Brandeis?
This discussion has been closed.