Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

chance an emory hopeful, and maybe give her a reason to go too.

2»

Replies to: chance an emory hopeful, and maybe give her a reason to go too.

• figureskaterfigureskater Registered User Posts: 457 Member
    I might not NEED a car, but I'd certainly want it to get around. There's not anything wrong with Emory's location, but it's not what I'm looking for. I don't want to be near a lively city; I want to be in it. I don't want to have to take the initiative to get to Atlanta, I want to be a part of it.
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    You're just looking for reasons to not come.
    That's all I'm gonna say.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,204 Senior Member
    Well then go to Geogia Tech, or some elite school in a city (not many, good luck) not as lively as Atlanta. Gonna agree with aluminum_Boat on this one. Besides Emory is right around the corner from the city limits. It's so easy to either get to downtown/mid-town and be a part of it. Besides, you probably won't like downtown as much anyway. You probably are the type of person who would like Buckhead, which Emory is closer too.

By the way, by coming on here already knowing you aren't interested, you are kind of like a ****. Don't waste your (or what's worse, our) time. Also, avoid spending money on the application fee. That would be a stupid way to spend money given you want to be in a city. Apply to USC, UCLA, NYU, places like that. Have fun. Wait, clearly money isn't an issue if you applied to 10 schools. Emory is technically in the city limits by the way. It's not like Atlanta is small. It happens to be on the Dekalb/Fulton line, on the small portion of Dekalb that is still Atlanta. And when your dorm is robbed over at Tech, keep loving your urban environment. Emory has some crime issues b/c it's in Atlanta, but not that much. And you're solution for getting around=Tech Shuttle, MARTA, Emory Experience/Lenox Shuttles on Saturday (as technically, you shouldn't really have enough time to constantly go off campus on weekdays). There are also the Emory University Hospital Midtown Shuttles and Grady Shuttles that run on weekdays for a long time. After MARTA, we run the largest transit system up here. Need I say more? You'll be able to get around. Also, Vandy's students are more stuck up than ours. Ours are half-way decent for a private school. Let's face it, you should have known this stuff already. You were'nt interested, why should anyone chance you?

Also, I wouldn't care for Vandy that much because I don't even like Nashville like that. Whether or not it is by the urban center does not matter to me. It is still in Nashville (poppin', but not my cup of tea). Also Vandy seems to lack the ethnic demographic diversity of many other top schools. Despite it's geographic distribution, this makes it more southern than the rest of us in my eyes. And if you want to go there, our last class of entering freshmen basically was made up of almost 20% international students (and it has almost always been over 10%). Vandy (actually few places can) can't really say this as far as I know.
    You seem to have taken this very personally--don't. I am actually pretty interested in Emory--just not as excited about it as I would like to be. I've had bad experiences with some crabby students, and Emory isn't as in the middle of town as I would like for it to be. Most of the places I've applied are within walking distance of ice rinks. Transportation is an issue because it's going to be very difficult for me to get to the ice rink via public transportation. For skating I will be going off campus at least 6 days a week. If I go to Emory, skating is gonna be tough, which is why I'm having trouble falling in love with the school. Also, please don't assume that money isn't an issue for me. Did you consider that maybe I'm trying to see where I can get the most financial aid? People can chance me if they want to.
    I don't want to go to Georgia Tech. I don't want to go to Vandy. I didn't apply to either- but yes, I do like that Emory is diverse. I was responding to someone's suggestion. Goodness, calm down.
    I do appreciate the info about public transportation. I've visited Emory several times, and I always ask about the transportation system, but this is the most in depth answer I've gotten. So thanks for that.
    It is going to be hard to find ice-skating rinks in Atlanta. I was assuming that money wasn't that much of an issue because you either payed for all of those apps. or you had waivers. If you had waivers, you will get pretty solid fin. aid from any institution with a decent endowment. I don't think Emory or any Atlanta institution should really have been a consideration considering that you are serious about ice skating. You may find more ice rinks in many of the giant burbs here than in the city. Plus, Atlanta isn't like many cities where there is an outdoor rink at the city center (I'd imagine a portion of mid-town has it in the winter, but I forget which part). The Vandy part was a response to Tenacious. Yes the competence of the transit system results from the huge healthcare we have. We have to support the employees and promote sustainability lol. I just thought you would have known since you ave been here so many times. Obviously those tours are still inadequate. I was just saying, we shouldn't have to convince you if you are truly interested. Just think about it. If the area is that bad for you, then you probably should not come. Or you should go sit in class next time ( a larger one of course, that way your intrusion is less obvious). If you come again, just tell your interests and I'll suggest some classes to crash.
  • Melanie22Melanie22 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Everything icfireball said is 100% true, I'm a freshman this year and I had the EXACT same reservations about attending Emory. I'm a downtown city kind of person but I was talking with one of my friends who is from downtown Atlanta and he was telling me how I wouldn't want Emory to be downtown, I wouldn't feel safe and there is exponentially more danger. I feel perfectly safe walking to Emory village at 3 in the morning by myself, downtown I wouldn't say the same thing. Emory is a bit far from the hustle and bustle of the main city but downtown is only a MARTA trip away, nothing to NOT attend an amazing school like Emory for.
    I'm starting to feel a lot better about Emory. It's nice to know that there are kids like me.
  • icfireballicfireball Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    Glad to hear. Feel free to PM me or any other Emory student on the forum here if you want to hear more about our personal experiences at Emory.
    After getting into Barnard ED, I've realized why I couldn't get excited about Emory. It just wasn't Barnard. I don't want for this to come off as mean. I just wanted to say that even though Emory is wonderful, my heart is elsewhere.
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    Yea, I said that like 7 posts ago, haha.

Congrats on getting in. And good luck.
    thanks!
    If not Barnard, I probably would've gone to Emory though (had I gotten in).
    Happy Christmas!
    Looks pretty neat. I suck, I don't know enough about elite institutions because I didn't know it was one of the 7 sisters or that it was a part of Columbia (also, seems very similar to us in terms of students/admission, but it is more ideal location-wise for you). Probably comes from being from my part of the south. Oh well, doesn't matter now. I go to a good school despite my ignorance. Congratulations! Have an awesome time in NYC.
2»
This discussion has been closed.