Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

D1 Basketball at Emory?

2»

Replies to: D1 Basketball at Emory?

• icfireballicfireball Registered User Posts: 317 Member
    If Emory were to join the ACC or SEC it would be purely a political move and not an indication of the strength of Emory's program. Emory probably has enough prestige and political capital to maneuver into one of those conferences, but it would take a few years to prove they're not a joke first.

I agree that it's not feasible (or even necessarily desirable) for Emory to move all of its programs to D1. But if the NCAA could be lobbied to change their rule, this would be plausible.
  • JASMacJASMac Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    TJC747 is wrong. The NCAA does not prohibit a university from fielding a sport in DI and having other sports remain D3. Case in point is Johns Hopkins--they field D1 Mens & Womens lacross teams, but all of their other teams compete d3. Hopkins was one of the founding members of the UAA (Emory's Conference) but had to leave when they chose to have the lacross teams compete D1.
  • TJC747TJC747 Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    JASMac, obviously you haven't read the whole thread...football and basketball are the only sports that a school can make to DI. Hopkins is fine because their lacrosse is DI, not football or basketball. The only way Emory gets a DI basketball team is if all of Emory goes DI (highly unlikely), or the NCAA makes an exception/changes the rules (also unlikely, in my opinion). That doesn't mean I won't try to get this, however.
    Piggybacking on what TJ said, here's the quote from the 2010-2011 NCAA Manual that I posted earlier in the thread:
    A member of Division II or Division III may petition to be classified in Division I in any one men's sport, other than football or basketball, and in any one women's sport, other than basketball, and in any single sport in which the only NCAA championships opportunity is the National Collegiate Championship.
  • massgirl92massgirl92 Registered User Posts: 703 Member
    It's not happening, simply because of that NCAA rule people have noted--no way are they making all of their sports D1.
    If someone is looking for strong athletics at a top academic school, Duke, Vandy, UNC, UMich, Northwestern, Georgetown, BC, Notre Dame, and Stanford are where it's at.
  • eastafrobeautyeastafrobeauty Registered User Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    I took the survey. I love basketball...so if emory had a D1 bb team that would be so sickk! That way there could be more school spirit AND more exposure/free advertising for Emory :D but c'mon let's be realistic :/
  • TJC747TJC747 Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    I agree^

We can all dream about this but likelihood of it happening is slim.
    ... says the person going to Duke.

Massgirl92, you might view it it as silly wishful thinking, but if everybody thought like you, no one would ever attempt the improbable. You can call us crazy, but we are the ones that change the world. Only leaders with vision would ever do what the detractors say is impossible. You're not an entrepreneur or a leader, and that's fine... we can't all be.

If I had told you at the turn of the 20th century that people could fly in vehicles 20,000 feet in the sky to get from Atlanta to Chicago in 2 hours, would you have believed me?
  • el duqueel duque Registered User Posts: 310 Junior Member
    I don't know, Emory will do some pretty ridiculous stuff if it makes them a large sum of money (i.e. dig up and replace the plants every Friday or cut football). I think if someone or some group makes a large donation with the condition that it's used to start a D1 program, Emory would take it and go D1.
2»
This discussion has been closed.