Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory Transfer for Fall 2011

Replies to: Emory Transfer for Fall 2011

• museumgermmuseumgerm Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I did send in my HS transcript, which I didn't know could be waived! I'm glad Emory didn't hold it against me. (I'm coming from a community college, too.)

If my credits transfer well, I should be a junior. I completely ditched my original essays when applying for Emory. When I started the admissions process I made a series of bad judgement calls. My original essays focused more on what happened to me within the walls of my community college rather than my much more extensive extracurricular activity in the local community. I thought admissions would be really enamored with the idea of a community college student, so I focused on what community college had done for me and not really what *I* had done. Of course, I've since realized being from a community college is very far from being a "hook." It's not that I left out my activities--they were all listed in the Common App but were never really imbued with the heart they needed to be compelling. My essays for Emory addressed that. I talked very, very specifically about how my extracurriculars enrich my life and bring me happiness. It's the approach I should've taken all along. NEVER write what you think admissions wants to hear! You can still be genuine, as I was talking about how community college affected me, and mess up taking that route. Everyone has a million different facets to their lives but you have to be judicious when applying and choose to communicate the facets of your life which really excite you--it will show in your writing and make things happen.

Anyway. It all worked out for me in the end. Good luck Burton!!
  • serendipity21serendipity21 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Got accepted to Emory College of Arts and Sciences! :) I first found out when I received an e-mail from Timothy Fields who works at the Office of Undergraduate Admission. Then I checked OPUS and saw the acceptance letter. Keep on checking, guys! Best of luck to those who are still waiting!!
  • BurtonElitistBurtonElitist Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    Congrats^^stats serendipity?
    Thanks Burton!! :) Here are my stats:

GPA: 4.00 from my local community college (It isn't in the mainland US, btw.)
    SAT: 1950
    ECs/Activities: Phi Theta Kappa, choir, coached my high school's Mock Trial and National Forensic League team, volunteered at the admissions office
  • marcusemarcuse Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Congrats everyone who has made it in!

I haven't heard back but I can log in to learn link as of a few days ago. Hopefully that's a good sign.
    To those who were accepted, did you receive transfer credit evaluations and financial aid statements yet?
  • DesertFeverDesertFever Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I got my credit evaluation about a few days ago, one via email and one in a packet through snail mail. No aid info yet thought, because my parents' filed their taxes late and I just submitted their return to Emory.
  • museumgermmuseumgerm Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Got my transfer evaluation like yesterday. I'm a few credits shy of being a Junior... Yeah, totally okay with that. I get guaranteed housing as a sophomore :)

My financial aid stuff is still being processed, unfortunately.
  • eastafrobeautyeastafrobeauty Registered User Posts: 2,430 Senior Member
    @museumgerm: CONGRATS! for getting into Emory! You give me so much hope now...I had a terrible HS record and I'm aiming for a spectacular college record.Emory is one of my dream schools...so thanks for giving me some hope!

I think I'll pm you/or you pm me...what tips do you have to make your application stand out +stronger? what about your essays could you elaborate a little more? how did you explain how much you've changed/improved since HS?
  • mpedigompedigo Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    Hey, I hope to be ale to transfer to Emory next Fall as well, if anyone has any sort of advice let me know.
    What do you think my chances are like:
    HS GPA: 3.79
    College: 4.0
    SAT: 2150
    ECs: Pres and Founder of French Club, Vice Pres of Debate Club, Founder of 2 Non-profits, Humane Society, Pet Fostering, Tennis, and various internships and volunteer jobs at museums and libraries
    I checked learnlink and I'm in the database as a student of Emory College... can I celebrate yet? Still haven't heard back. Maybe it's referring to my oxford admission.
    Nevermind, checked OPUS after a nap and I'll be at Emory in the Fall! Hope to see you all there :-D
  • 1224mk1224mk Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    accepted! ay
  • calisierrajcalisierraj Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey guys! I will be a junior transfer to Emory for fall 2011. I am very excited. Has anyone been assigned an advisor yet?
  • HeatFanNYHeatFanNY Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    No advisor officially assigned, but I have talked to someone and I have already registered for classes. Where is everyone living?
This discussion has been closed.