Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

orientation

deennnteedeennntee Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
edited June 2011 in Emory University
does anyone know when we will be receiving more information about orientation and the outdoor orientation program i just feel like all of my friends from other schools have all of there information and i know nothing
Post edited by deennntee on

Replies to: orientation

• africana94africana94 Registered User Posts: 37 Junior Member
    I think we get orientation info in July...I think...if I read correctly. I feel in the dark too!
  • nubiyah15nubiyah15 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    yah i def get what ur saying...i feel like we do evrything so much later than other schools...
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    Don't other schools do orientation similar to the ways ours work, as in many peers do it this way. Larger schools tend to have earlier orientation because they are well....really large. Ours really just incorporates the orientation process into the beginning of the year festivities (which those larger schools that do "summer orientations" simply won't have. In fact, even when the orientation begins, most attention will probably be centered around convocation. Some schools like Tech are exceptions as they have "Faset" which heavily resembles our orientation structure. I don't know if they have summer orientation).

Also, we go to school a tad later than many public schools (from my reference point, Tech and UGA) with a similar calendar, and get out earlier for those who like that. Just found out they do it during the summer. Not only that, but they must pay for FASET (Fall orientation=180 bucks. Guess ours is incorporated into our skyhigh tuition)
    However, note that most schools make their "orientation" last a couple of days, whereas ours is like a 1-2 week long period of activities that also persists when classes begin. This could be advantageous as it puts all of the advising and stuff in context. Summer hardly provides context at a school like Emory, where so few students are on campus.

Appears Vandy does essentially the same thing:
    http://commonplace.vanderbilt.edu/?s=2015&v=31
    Duke:
    http://www.studentaffairs.duke.edu/nsfp

Oh, look, theirs is later than ours.
    Rice:
    http://www.ece.rice.edu/academics/undergrad/oweek09

This is old, but I doubt they suddenly switched to that of public schools.

I'm sure I'd find the same pattern at most comparably sized/caliber universities.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    Also, here is some info. if it helps.
    Fall 2011 Emory College of Arts and Sciences Orientation | Emory College | Atlanta, GA
    I don't know if they send an orientation schedule for this year till it's finalized (you can see last year's by clicking "first year students" on the left and then "schedule).
  • techn0logicaltechn0logical Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Do we sign up for classes during orientation?
  • thestudent1thestudent1 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I think we do. We have meetings with our advisers over courses then we register for them.
This discussion has been closed.