Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Best Professor First Year Classes

Replies to: Best Professor First Year Classes

• emoryguy980emoryguy980 Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    Also is calc 1 year long or just semester?
    Oh and also is it possible for me to make it from P.E. to my calc class? (since I have to change my clothes probably and get to the math building, is it possible)
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    Most stay pretty on schedule, and technically they have no power over you in the attendance context. They can't hold you past time. No, only bio classes are far away from chem. or anything on, and on the periphery of the quad.
    Calc. 1=1 semester.
    If you are living in fevans/LSM, it's easy to get to Atwood. Just go down the hill (from Asbury circle). Go into Emerson (which is attached to Atwood), take the elevator up to level three (Morkin will be in 360). This of course if you are in a rush. Otherwise, you can take the hill up between Emerson and Theology, and take a right (another hill, a red "scupture"/artifact will be noticeable at the top) and it'll put you directly at level three.
    Anyway point is, central campus isn't large at all, and it really doesn't take much time to get anywhere.

You should get Google Earth and maybe learn the campus. There are many routes. Some that kill time and avoid hills/stairs, and some that require much less time, if you are willing to use an elevator or go up or down a hill or two. With that said, none of them really take that long. You decide which route you'll use dependent upon how pressed for time you are. There are also "social routes" (you know crowded ones used mostly when moving between classes). These include Cox Bridge and the Callaway/Tull Plaza Walk (mainly accessed by going under Cannon Capel)
    Fall
    (Full) P. E.- Simonds 9:35- 10:25 (M/W/F) *Woodruff PE Ctr- Varsity Weight* 1 credits
    Calculus 1- Megan Cream 10:40- 11:30 (M/W/F) *Math and Science Center W302* 4 credits
    General Chemistry- Morkin 8:30-9:45 (Tue/Thur) *Chemistry Building 360* 4 credits
    (Full) Spanish 1- 10:00- 10:50 (Tue/ Thur) *New Psych Building 250 (36 Eagle Ro)* 4 credits
    Religion- Ladderman 2:30- 3:45 (Tue/Thur) *White Hall 207* 4 credits
    Chemistry Lab- Norton 6:00- 9:00 (Tuesday) * Chemistry Building 351* 0 credits
    Total Credits 17 Credits

Thanks! That is my schedule, now I feel better getting to class on time. What should I do with the time between classes? Such as bw spanish and religion? I thought maybe study for an hour, then go to lunch and socialize. And why is chem lab so late? I am so scared of chem lab since we never did labs in chem as I said. Should I study b/w religion and chem lab? Is my schedule difficult in terms of time. I am pretty upset that I have classes Monday-Friday, should I just not take calc until spring semester and maybe take NBB seminar on tuesday to make the time up somewhere in there? Or is this schedule fine as far as time management, having fun, and having a good first semester at Emory as far as being involved socially and academically? Thanks!
    That's actually a pretty good schedule. Just stick with it. You can do whatever you want with your time between courses. Assess your work/study load and see if you have time to socialize and stuff. It's not my place to advise you on this. However, yes you should probably eat if you haven't.
    Okay thanks, I think I will be pretty fine my first semester as long as I stay on top of my work. What troubles did you experience your first year?
    It was stressful. Some courses that I didn't expect to be rigorous (like freshmen seminar) were very rigorous (as in lots of out of class work and projects, it was interesting and awesome, but very time consuming) and took away from classes like orgo. and bio. I hardly knew bio first semester, so had a little trouble there. I was in person's class that required mere memorization, but I'm terrible at that (so exams on content that was simply memory based did not go as well as those where some applied questions could be asked), and then they were multiple choice, which made it worse. 2nd semester was MC, but the question types worked way better for me because it focused on Apps. and thorough knowledge of concepts. Orgo. was fun, but hard. His exams kept changing in format and were thus unpredictable. I did well, but I had to work for it. 2nd semester was significantly less stressful because I developed a legit study plan that involved studying about everyday as opposed to "test in two weeks, let me get on the ball". I was much more prepped since I had constant exposure outside of class. I also took studygroups more serious 2nd semester, and it helped.
  • emory83emory83 - Posts: 256 Junior Member
    @emoryguy: whoa....how did you sign up for those classes? dont we register once school starts? im totally freaking out right now.. i havent even looked at the classes yet :/
    He can't. Those are just the classes he's shooting for. He looked them up on Opus to get specific times I would guess.
    can you take PE in the summer?
    thanks Bernie12. also, what is the difference between freshman seminar and regular classes?
    Thanks, so based on my classes do you think I'll have an extremely difficult workload? Any advice for me as far as studying? Oh and I have the same question as Emory83, and no I did not register yet, A friend looked up the classes I wanted for me since he goes to emory, and got me the times and the opening slots. We register first week of school
    No your workload is normal/very manageable for a freshman science major. I won't advise you on studying. Do what works best for you. Study everyday if you can (but don't overdo it, avoid 3+ hour marathons for a single course) is all I can say. Any customizations to what you were doing can maybe be determined by the first exam results. If good, keep doing what you're doing, if not, change some things. Also, office hours, SI, learning resources=friend. Don't be ashamed to use it.
    Look at seminars as "survey" courses of sorts. Actually, no that isn't fair. Many normally cover very specific topics within a discipline. They essentially are normal classes. However, many have a "seminar" style. In other words, they are taught more like a discussion based course, not a lecture.
    how do exams in language art classes work?
    Normally aren't any. Just papers normally. It rarely happens, but I hear it isn't pleasant when some do (my friend took one of the few who did and many found the exams to be brutal). Oh, also know that they definitely don't happen in freshmen Writing Requirements.
This discussion has been closed.