Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory social life, economics, and premed?

blahblah95blahblah95 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited January 2013 in Emory University
Just wondering what the social life is like at Emory? I signed up to do ED2, and I want to make sure it's the right school for me. How are the frat parties? Is it heavy on alcohol or drug use? What school is it similar to?

Also on a side note, how is the economic and premed program at Emory? Is it cut-throat like WashU and Hopkins? Or do the kids work together. Is there grade deflation or inflation?
Post edited by blahblah95 on

Replies to: Emory social life, economics, and premed?

• blahblah95blahblah95 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Bump bump bump
  • trex792trex792 Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Not very competitive in terms of students being cut throat. Economics is especially mediocre. More grade inflation than anything else. Culturally, is like Long Island in the middle of Atlanta. Similar to USC, Tulane or University of Miami.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    ....I don't think WashU's pre-med program is cut-throat. I hear that it's simply hard (and it pays off. the average MCAT score for pre-meds there is like a 32). Let's be fair to these institutions. Also, Emory and WashU have grade inflation (no one wants to admit it, especially at WashU. The average GPA's of graduates at both are near or greater than 3.4. As talented as the students at both are, this isn't simply the result of hard work.. Johns Hopkins has less than both), but there is significantly less in the sciences as can be said for about every institution. If you do pre-med at Emory, there will likely be no curving in 3 of the major pre-med classes (intro. physics, gen. biology, general chemistry), and orgo. only gets a curve because most students would get a D or F without it (it is abnormally hard though, even for an elite institution. Many elites have surprisingly easy ochem sequences). My understanding is that places like WashU make all the pre-med intros. like this so curve to the stereotypical C+/B- mean/median. Emory just makes it so that the course yields the B- mean/median on the normal grading scale (except for bio where it's B/B+ because it has gotten relatively easy). Collaboration at Emory is the norm, but study groups are smaller to non-existent in classes that curve. In such classes, people normally only study in pairs (with a best friend or significant other). Of course, the science courses that are more difficult (usually in chem and physics) than the "pre-med core" usually buck this trend (pchem is an example).

Also, for an ED applicant, are there anymore deciding factors than these? These seem kinda weird as many schools would end up just like Emory based upon these issues.
This discussion has been closed.