Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I have a Shot? My GPA is hurts :(

bearcatpigbearcatpig Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
edited January 2013 in Emory University
Hi Guys My gpa Is wicked lame but let me know what my chances are :)

GPA: 3.3 UW
SAT:2210(630 CR 780 M 800 W 12Essay)
730 Math 2
Extracurriculars:
-Co-President of FBLA
-President and Founder of the Marketing and Financial Club
-Marketing team won 2nd place in the state competition
-Entrepreneurship team won 1st place in the state
-200 Hours of community service total
-Marketing Internship and financial analyst internship at a company for Senior Summer
-Founder of a start up company
-start up was admitted into an incubator program, 1st place in the pitch competition
-start up was featured in two news articles, one in a big city paper
-start up won an honorable mention at a competition sponsored by companies like google amazon microsoft.
-startup is currently in a business plan competition
-Captain of the Varsity Golf Team
Post edited by bearcatpig on

Replies to: Do I have a Shot? My GPA is hurts :(

• aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    It was worth applying, but your GPA (and ranked mentioned in other threads will hurt you).

Frankly, you should have applied to Oxford...
  • Candles2014Candles2014 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    Don't know your chances but those are impressive sounding ECs for a business major. Are you interested in the financial component of business?

Good luck, friend.
  • bearcatpigbearcatpig Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Yeah I am, Im actually going to be interning at a hedge fund this summer which I am totally pumped out of my mind about. Yeah I know oxford would have been easier but I really wanted to go to emory. Thanks for the feed back I know its gonna be quite a reach, any other thoughts?
  • JRswishJRswish Registered User Posts: 1,170 Senior Member
    i think its a match for u. ur GPA is low but ur stats seem great good luck :)
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/what-my-chances/1447554-chance-me.html ?
  • trex792trex792 Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    You'll probably get in. I don't think that Emory is that hard to get into anymore. They try to market it as a competitive school, but it really isn't. Nowhere near a hard to get into as Washington University, Johns Hopkins or Northwestern. Easier to get into than the University of Michigan in many cases. The number of applicants stopped rising for a while and then the school just encouraged a bunch of Asian international students to apply. They don't have to give these students any financial aid. I assume they also give preference to students from wealthy areas to help offset the huge financial promise they made with Emory Advantage (even though they deny it). I would guess that a lot of the people applying to Emory, don't really have any intention on actually going to the school. There are a lot of students who just apply to 10 or more top schools.
  • nalatieernalatieer Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    trex792 's words on Asian international student are kind of right....but any way you have great ECs and good SAT result! Just try it!
  • musicbuffmusicbuff Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    dont worry! i met a girl at MIT who had a GPA of 2.8 and still got in..your internships, summer jobs, start ups, research papers, recos etc count a lot more than you can imagine!
  • bearcatpigbearcatpig Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    Thanks for the chances guys, Im just really nervous my gpa will be a huge deal breaker, but I'm praying that my other stuff really drags me up.
This discussion has been closed.