Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Miami (Fl) Vs Emory

2»

Replies to: Miami (Fl) Vs Emory

• whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    Internationals are required to take the SAT or ACT in addition to the TOEFL. For whatever reason U Miami put incorrect data on its CDS.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    The SAT/ACT score difference matters little here. The difference primarily comes from resources and overall institutional caliber. For example, Emory lags far behind its nearest peers (places like ND and Vandy for example) in the scores area, but level-headed individuals would not argue that Emory differs much in overall caliber (as in, if you went to these other places, you would not really be able to tell the difference in quality of students, faculty, research, and facilities. There would not likely be much of a difference in institutional rigor either). Even after all the stuff that has happened, these schools are roughly the same caliber (and have various levels of prestige due to non-academic factors). I would not be too quick to argue that Emory and Miami are of the same caliber and intensity yet, despite the scores being very similar. Both are excellent though. I would take into account the post-graduate desires and also the type of environment the student would want to be in. I would imagine the Emory environment being less laid back than Miami, for example (kind of like Harvard vs. Stanford. Both have very rigorous academics, but the student bodies differ in a manner such that Harvard has a more intense environment whereas Stanford has a more laid back type of environment).
  • KerriDanielsKerriDaniels User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I agree that Emory is regarded as a 'better' school in terms of academics.
  • studyinglifestudyinglife Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I generally agree. I go to Emory and my close cousin goes to Miami so I talked to him about it. Emory has great opportunities to play sports, but they don't have the crowd. tons of kids here play sports, but not a lot of kids watch games. We study a lot... Similarly, Emory has parties you can find for sure, but is not a "party school." Our campus feels very intellectual though not uptight. Miami is more relaxed, but lacks the same academic challenges and opportunities. Certainly still a good school, just like one person posted, you just have to work a lot harder to get the same rigors of Emory.
2»
This discussion has been closed.