Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Regretting ED...

13»

Replies to: Regretting ED...

• esimpnoxinesimpnoxin Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    @trex792

Before they fire Wagner, I want everybody on that board of trustees to testify that they are linguistically immaculate and have never made any stupid mistakes in speech or said something that took on a meaning they didn't intend. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Also, I will bet $100 that Wagner actually believes that slavery is abhorrent and didn't mean to inflame any racial tensions by his comment.
  • liujunyi2liujunyi2 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    Also, the University's admissions department turned a blind eye towards people in foreign countries that paid other people to take the SAT for them.

Very good. You are accusing hundreds of international students here.
  • rreynard112rreynard112 Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    Emory is an awesome school man, congrats on your acceptance. In regards to the nay-sayers, the people that know less than others often yell the loudest;)
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    WhenWhen: Classic statements from some folks lol.

In summation: "If I would have known that Emory's Average SAT was below 1400, I would not have come"

Yaah for elitism! I knew we had to have some of those on campus. I mean seriously, even with the change, the average is still like a ridiculous 1350-1370. A level headed person who was aware that the SAT average is like 1000 would be less put off by this (other than the fact they will be surrounded by a crap ton of really great test-takers and smart folks). Even those in the 75% could benefit from Emory academics if they want to. Like many already do, all they need to do is take classes where the prof. does not really target the "average" (most who could handle if they tried), but instead tries to challenge everyone. These courses exist in abundant amounts. Whether or not people take them is another story.
  • oaktown02oaktown02 Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    @trex792

I do agree with you that students should be able to look at other schools despite an ed or ed2 acceptance because of this recent scandal. If the student sees the 30-40 points as a big deal or is simply disgusted with the school and its administration, who is emory to castigate a 17 yr old by blacklisting him/her to other schools for simply changing his/her mind when administrators lied and cheated for 10 YEARS. Talk about hypocrisy.
  • movinmommovinmom Registered User Posts: 421 Member
    I have a child who is class of '10 and now in med school and a child who is a sophomore and was just accepted to the B school. I also have another child who graduated from an Ivy. I am a big Emory fan and can tell you that the extra support my oldest received in the sciences combined with an internship at the Emory hospital is the reason she is in med school. Professors at Emory have been much more available than my Ivy child experienced. Lots of negative Emory in the press this year. I urge you to think about what YOU want and what is best for you. Atlanta has offered both of my kids amazing opportunities. Good luck!
  • emberjedemberjed Registered User Posts: 1,367 Senior Member
    @esimpnoxin: I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but that does sound like kind of a lot.
  • starburst95starburst95 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    There are occasionally times when I kind of regret applying ED as I watch all my other classmates get letters from all the colleges they applied to and weigh their options. I also read some negative comments and considered how many of us ED students are feeling neglected by the Emory admissions people. But in the end, once I start going to Emory, I'll learn to adjust and accept that Emory was the place I was determined to go to and learn to enjoy my time there.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    Don't necessarily be too sure that you'll have to "learn to accept it". Often freshman year is pretty fun and you'll likely find that you like it a lot. I feel that only in hindsight certain things are noticeable. And in my case, my hindsight deals with the attitudes and experience of others, not myself as much. My experience was really quite awesome to be honest. You just have to play your cards right to make sure the same happens for you and know that what everyone else does may not be the best for optimizing the Emory experience. If you go on the academic bandwagons, don't be surprised to get a somewhat bland academic experience, but perhaps the same solid social life that others who take full advantage of the academics do. As in, one major part of your experience will end up lackluster...but some prefer this as they think that a very strong academic experience can take away from there social life. This isn't the case if you are the good student that the admissions office believes you are.
  • ExpendableAssetExpendableAsset Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    Yes. And do what bernie12 did: Take the most challenging, intellectually stimulating classes. Forget what anyone else thinks. It's your life, not theirs.
13»
This discussion has been closed.