Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Supplement essay--what class would you teach

2»

Replies to: Supplement essay--what class would you teach

• yiyi1064yiyi1064 Registered User Posts: 20 Junior Member
    i wrote about teaching reverse psychology. my whole essay was like on telling the students "don't take this class... blah blah blah"
  • jocjarmomjocjarmom Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Hi @godiva123 and @SummerAus... thanks for the positive feedback. I think she was nervous that it might appear trendy or not original, but she also loved the book series and the messages behind it. I know she mentioned topics to be discussed might include "The Role of Government,” “The Will to Survive,” “Sacrifice and Risk,” “The Inequalities between Rich and Poor,” “The Power of Symbols,” “The Influence of the Media”, and “The Ethics of the Games”. This book series is so rich in deep themes! I love the idea of doing a class about dystopian novels... there are so many of them out there right now! I think the new movie "Divergent" is one of them (haven't seen or read it, but it looks like it's on the mark). Anyway, it's all exciting!
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,312 Senior Member
    I had a history (I think it was a 285/385. There were even some freshmen) class my junior year called Dystopias/Utopias. It was awesome! Readings included animal farm, The Republic, and 1984. The discussions were of course quite vibrant and the topic offered great material to base essays and research papers on. Given how rich The Hunger Games is in those themes, I can indeed see a full course on it being very stimulating.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,641 Senior Member
    I had an English course at Oxford where we actually read an excerpt of the Hunger Games. The class, although technically entitled "Popular Literature and the Academy" was known as "Harry Potter" since we read works ranging from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to On the Road to the first two chapters of Twilight. Fantastic class. If any soon to be Oxford student is reading this, take Dr. Ivey. She's the best.
  • jocjarmomjocjarmom Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Thanks @Bernie12... that class sounds awesome! BTW, I would have totally taken a class about Harry Potter...
  • closetohome1closetohome1 Registered User Posts: 340 Member
    Mine was on how we focus too much on the negative connotations that come with being a Muslim and instead we should focus on the Islamic people's great achievements - "Islam in the golden age" - I believe I sold it quite well as I have made extensive efforts to start an Islamic student union in my school (wrote about that in my application) and Emory seems to have a rather minuscule Islamic studies department
    I didn't know we even had that. I think we have MESAS which umbrellas courses focusing on that. That department is not that small and is cross/interdisciplinary.
    edited March 2014
    @bernie12 im aware of MESAS, what i meant was that there are not many classes pertaining to islam specifically and the ones that do mostly deal with modern issues and media
    Ah, okay, sounds like a project worth you working on if you were to come to Emory (to get more courses on it).
    if admitted and given such an opportunity I would love to, Emory seems like a great place
  • render142render142 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    I wrote about having a CHESS CLASS. Yeah, I know it sounds wierds but One of my best highschool teachers gave me that idea. We talked about it for hours and it makes sense. Chess is, after all, a great way to learn how to move yourself through life and a great way to learn strategics. What do you think? Was it a mistake?
  • alex513alex513 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    I wrote about a class that explores the connections between music and math. My band director goes into them a lot and I figured an in-depth class exploring that would be really interesting.
  • JuvenisJuvenis Registered User Posts: 853 Member
    Since I want to major in Classics, I made "Games, Festivals, and Holidays in Ancient Rome." They had some pretty weird traditions. For one day, men would run a race around a hill -- naked -- while hitting women with leather straps (no euphemism).
2»
This discussion has been closed.