Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory for Economics?

Joel96Joel96 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
edited January 2014 in Emory University
How well does Emory's undergraduate economics program compare to other schools? Would a BA in Econ from Emory CAS be comparable to a BBA from Goizueta in terms of job prospects, salary, and admission to a graduate or MBA program?
Post edited by Joel96 on

Replies to: Emory for Economics?

• aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    The BBA wins in terms of job prospects and salary.

However, I understand that it may not be the best choice for someone who wants an MBA because: 1. Business schools can see a BBA and an MBA as repetitive and 2. The Business school is graded on a curve, which can make it more difficult to get a GPA that's competitive for top MBA programs.
  • aluminum_boataluminum_boat Registered User Posts: 1,539 Senior Member
    The econ department and business school have the same curve -or at least they did when I took it. Students in the econ department never really struck me as extremely bright, so the curve might be easier.

I think you should do the bba. It's got better prospects by a long shot. Unless you're a girl. Then either is fine. But where you worked matters quite a bit for mba prospects, so bba would set you up better.

As for grad school (like phd and a quantitative masters), then a bba or even am undergrad degree in econ might not be the way to go.
  • Joel96Joel96 Registered User Posts: 115 Junior Member
    Thanks for the input. So say you go to Emory, and after two years apply to Goizueta. If you get rejected, would it be better to continue on at CAS (since promotion is automatic given you complete the required coursework) and major in Econ, or transfer to another roughly equally prestigious school and get a BBA?
    If you can't get into Goizueta, how will you get accepted as a transfer student?
    That's kind of what I mean; will the kind of business schools you would be able to get into be any better than just staying at Emory and majoring in Econ at CAS?
    Which business schools would you get into? I don't know which ones have a two year program... Unless you're planning on just doing another 4 years as an undergraduate
    I'm talking about transferring, or would that not even be a possibility coming from CAS?
    I don't understand what you're talking about.

First of all, since you apply to Goizueta at the end of year 2, it might be too late to transfer by Fall year 3. By which time, you might as well stick it out as an Econ major.

If you don't have the grades and ECs to get into Goizueta as an Emory underclassman, you will probably not be accepted as a transfer student into any other school that's worth attending.

But IDK much about transferring in general.
    Okay, thanks for the help. I was just curious about how different scenarios might play out. The CAS or transfer situation was just a worst-case scenario. I've seen stats on the acceptance rate to Goizueta from the college, and for most students getting in doesn't seem to be too big of an issue.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,393 Senior Member
    If you don't get into the business school, please double major with economics. Don't just do economics alone. Before applying to the b-school, build some interests and strengths in areas outside of econ. and pre-BBA pre-reqs.
    ^ How hard is it to double-major at Emory? I know they offer a joint Economics-Math major, but I remember seeing somewhere something saying that undergraduates can only earn one degree from Emory. Are joint majors the only option?
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    It's not terribly difficult with early planning and some AP credit.

You may only earn one degree from Emory (so for instance, if you did economics and the b-school, you'd still only get one degree). You may do at most two majors or one major and one minor. Joint majors (such as econ/math) count as one major, so you can do a joint major and a minor, or even two joint majors. Just note that joint majors aren't the same double majors.
    Oh yeah, it's not that hard. You just do two of them and one will appear as your primary major.
  • dyrusdariusdyrusdarius Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    Students in the econ department never really struck me as extremely bright, so the curve might be easier

care to elaborate?
    He probably thinks that many of them just do that if they don't get in the business school or that they pursue it because Emory is not known to have a particularly rigorous econ. program. In such a case, since it is a social science that may have better than normal post-grad prospects, many people that want a more or less "challenge-free" experience may pursue it (whereas other social sciences may be pursued out of pure interest or some association with professional school prospects. Such as history and political science with law school). Typically, the better (or more bright) economics majors are double majors (often something like math/econ. joint major and something else). It's often suspicious when you see students at Emory singly majoring in economics.
This discussion has been closed.