Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Canceling ED2 before finding out

EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
Hey everyone! I believe that letters are coming out regarding ED2 for Emory in February 15th. I was wondering if it could be possible to ask my admissions counselor to defer my application when we get the mail. I want emory to be an option in my college search, but this early decision thing is really hitting me, so I just want to be deferred from ED2 to RD. Can I really do it? And if so, how?
«1

Replies to: Canceling ED2 before finding out

  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    If you're serious about doing this you should email the admissions office immediately, and cc your admissions counselor. Make sure you get a response/confirmation. You need a documentable email trail in case there's any confusion. Would also cc your high school guidance/college counselor.
    Might want to state in your email to admissions that you remain VERY interested in Emory. You don't want them to interpret this as your now being uninterested.
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    Don't wait until you "get the mail." I agree with the previous poster -- email the admissions office today and cc your specific admissions counselor. If you don't get a response, I would follow up with a phone call to bring this to their attention. It's not ok to wait for your ED2 admittance and then ask for more time to think things over.
  • EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    @mamabear16 @AsleepAtTheWheel so, if I call and end them an email, will I still get a deferral letter February 15th? I know it kinda sounds dumb to want to be deferred, but I was kinda forced to apply ED2
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    You shouldn't get a deferral or anything at all in February. Your application should be switched to RD and you will find out whenever the RD notifications go out. What do you mean you were forced to apply ED2?
  • EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Okay, so it starts with me applying ed to vandy, it was my dream school blah blah blah. Then I got rejected their and then defered from michigan, and my parents and I lost confidence in my applications strength. My parents told me you had to apply ed for emory to have even a slight shot, I told them I am not too inclined to go there and still believe I can get into michigan and maybe (more unlikely) washu, but they made me do the ed agreement stuff and I thought it could be possible to have my letter February 15th day deferred so that my parents wouldn't be suspicious about it. They also consider michigan much inferior to emory, mostly due to us news @MamaBear16‌
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 Registered User Posts: 1,080 Senior Member
    You can't get Emory to defer you (unless that's what they would have decided anyway) and there is no way they are going to tell you ahead of time. It sounds like you need to have a talk with your parents... but ED is binding and if you want to get out of the contract you need to do so as soon as possible.
  • byebyebirdybyebyebirdy Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Yeah, and make sure you don't make it sound like emory is your last pic because then you'll just get rejected.
  • EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    How do you think I should word it? @byebyebirdy‌
  • AsleepAtTheWheelAsleepAtTheWheel Registered User Posts: 1,276 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    If you were able to write a common app essay and the supplemental Emory essays you should be able to write this.

    Let them know that you would like to move your application from the ED pool/category to the regular decision pool. Add that you remain very interested in Emory and excited about the prospect of attending, but that you're simply not ready to commit to matriculation at this time.
    Don't delay. If you're worried that this will look bad, it will look increasingly bad the closer that you get to the deadline.

    Good luck. And you'll have to come back to the Emory thread to give us follow up.
  • EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Thanks, I'm starting to rethink it all right now
  • em2424em2424 Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    Is there any chance you could take a quick visit and really think about whether you would be happy at Emory? I think there is a good chance you might discover it's a great place for you if you were fortunate enough to be accepted.
  • EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Yea.. my feelings finalized kinda after I did the college visit there
  • EpicorangeninjaEpicorangeninja Registered User Posts: 190 Junior Member
    Update: I just got into michigan, so I'm officially switching ed to rd
  • friday28friday28 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    @Epicorangeninja were you able to switch to RD? I was considering it but noticed that the deadline on the website said 1/15.
  • cornellapp2015cornellapp2015 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    @friday28‌ Yeah you can change from ED2 to RD at any time before decisions are released by emailing your Emory admissions officer.
«1
This discussion has been closed.