Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2020 RD Dicussion

Replies to: Class of 2020 RD Dicussion

• BalbinaBalbina Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    edited January 2016
    @NeuroDude What is the article called?
  • KasamiKasami Registered User Posts: 299 Junior Member
    I've heard that stats are higher in the RD round generally speaking. Maybe we can get some posts from RD applicants going so we have at least some insight on the application pool? I'll start:

(Copy/pasted from an earlier thread sorry for the length)

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 2300 superscore (770 CR, 730 W, 800 W 11 essay)
    ACT (breakdown): Didn't take
    SAT II: 740 US History, 750 Lit
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.9/4 (I think? School doesn't use 4.0)
    Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): 5/456
    AP (place score in parenthesis): Calc AB (5), US History (4), World (5), Gov (5), Psych (5), Lang (5), Stat (4)
    IB (place score in parenthesis): None
    Senior Year Course Load: AP Environmental, AP Calc BC, AP Lit, AP Seminar, AP Microecon, Honors french 5, band/chorus/orchestra
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): Scholastic Gold Key Writing awards I guess? Some state poetry wins, national merit semifinalist, I suppose the AP Scholar awards? Not much really.

Subjective:

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis):
    FBLA VP (9-12) and awards from competitions
    NHS VP (11-12)
    Feminist Society (11-12)
    Select Choir Section Leader (9-12)
    Lit Mag Editor (11-12)
    MUN Fundraising Chair (10-12)
    Class Secretary (9-12)
    Piano with some local awards, same with flute
    Job/Work Experience: Writer and on executive board for local newspaper
    Volunteer/Community service: Generic volunteering, attended a governor's school for business
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common App Essay- 10/10 The most sincere essay I wrote. Discussed the relationship between me and my family and my love from writing which has put us at odds.
    Supplement- Ooh this was rough haha. I submitted the app super last minute and struggled most with what to write :/\

Recommendations (rating 1-10, details):

Teacher Rec #1: 10/10. We are very close and she had it written since the summer. I trust her completely and know she wrote truthfully.
    Teacher Rec #2: 8/10. Didn't read this one either although the teacher offered. Also offered to write me a letter of recc but I doubt it was anything outstanding.
    Counselor Rec: 7/10. I go to a large public school so most likely generic.

Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: No
    Intended Major: English
    State (if domestic applicant): PA
    Country (if international applicant): United States
    School Type: Public (1900 students)
    Ethnicity: Asian
    Income Bracket: >$250,000
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.): Absolutely 0

• EmoryMom2019EmoryMom2019 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    For reference for those of you applying RD my son's stats last year were CR-SAT 700, M 700, WR 740 GPA 4.26. 7 7 APs. There were some subject SATs as well but I don't remember the specifics except they were in the 700s. Seven kids from his HS in California applied - one was accepted to Oxford and my son was accepted to Emory. I think being a male and being from California might have helped. We were told at an open house last summer where the Dean of Students came and spoke that Emory would be pushing hard for more West Coast kids. And for those also wondering about aid/merit he got a grant for 10K and Federal Work Study of 3K. I want to note as well that every school he was accepted to gave him essentially the same amount - about 12K - 15K. All schools use the same calculation essentially and "fill" the gap which is determined to be "need" based with grants, aid, work study, etc. The calculation does not change significantly from school to school. And some school's like NYU don't even attempt to fill the gap. He got accepted there and received 0$. Lastly, he loves Emory and is having a great experience! Good luck to all of you!!! Hang in there!
  • BlackHuntressBlackHuntress Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    @EmoryMom2019 Thanks for the input! :D
  • Benjamin243Benjamin243 Registered User Posts: 28 Junior Member
    I am a first-year student at Emory who got in RD last year. It is obviously much more difficult to get in this way than ED1 or ED2, but if you have an average or higher SAT and GPA for Emory, you stand a very good chance of being accepted. Good luck everybody!
  • yliuxinyliuxin Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Did you guys get Mid year report on your TO DO list ?
  • marcymarmarcymar Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Yes, our school hasn't sent them out yet.
  • BlackHuntressBlackHuntress Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    yeah...my school says they can't send them out until feb 25th.
  • anzhilinanzhilin Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    Good luck everyone! I'm terrified for all of my out of state colleges o: What do you guys think the stats need to be for an Asian female living in Florida to get into Emory on RD though?
  • NotAMathleteNotAMathlete Registered User Posts: 308 Member
    Hey guys, has anyone else received an email urging them to look into athletics at Oxford? Just wondering.

(Yes, I know that it probably means nothing.)
  • SnapAppSnapApp Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    @NotAMathlete That's interesting. Are you a varsity athlete?
  • BalbinaBalbina Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Has anyone done their CSS Profile yet?
  • NotAMathleteNotAMathlete Registered User Posts: 308 Member
  • SnapAppSnapApp Registered User Posts: 209 Junior Member
    @NotAMathlete Congrats! I would take it as a good sign!
This discussion has been closed.