Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory University / Oxford College Class of 2023 Thread

Replies to: Emory University / Oxford College Class of 2023 Thread

• bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    @Jacopo : http://opb.emory.edu/academic-profile.html

1440 is hardly higher than Emory's average. That is really no different from the 1423 average which includes "hooked" applicants of various kinds. Maybe say very little about the SAT, because it is hard to tell where Emory stands with it. Regardless, I doubt anyone between 1420-1500 is particularly special in an Emory context. Emory may also contextualize it versus the person's school, school district, background, etc. As long as the person's scores and GPA are not too much lower than average and they have course rigor, I am willing to bet that Emory deems them as qualified or very qualified academically. That leaves us to scrutinize their EC profile perhaps versus their intellectual interests and what type of student/talent is in demand (burgeoning and historically) at Emory.
  • emorynavyemorynavy Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    @Jacopo
    Yea welcome to CC and all. But please to be so verbose about a school to don't go to or didn't graduate from.
  • britdarrowbritdarrow Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    applying to Emory RD!
  • CreakyCreaky Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Please chance my DD:

College of Choice: Emory

Decision Plan : ED2

Major(s) of Interest: Undecided, but most likely math or physics

Race/Ethnicity: Asian - Chinese

Recruited Athlete, or Legacy: Recruited athlete with coach support

GPA: (UW and Weighted) 3.67 UW, 3.84 W

AP or IB: WHAP (3); APUSH (3); AP Eng Lang & Comp (4); AP Calc AB (4); AP Gov (IP); AP Stats (IP); AP Physics C (IP); AP Eng Lit & Comp (IP); AP Calc BC (IP)

Class Rank: Top 20%

Test Scores: (SAT, ACT, or SAT 2's) SAT 1380; (EBRW 680; Math 700)

Extra Curricular, Community Service, or Co-Curricular(s): State qualifier all 4 years of HS in 2 sports, Top places in conference & district & state athletic championships, regional (PNW) athletic championships, National Honor Society member 3 years; sophomore student of the year; 3 years philharmonic orchestra; athletic event volunteer organizer

Any other interesting Info: Will be AP Scholar with distinction at graduation; age group winner in Seattle Rock & Roll half marathon; teacher letters of recommendation likely very strong, but counselor doesn't really know her (large school of ~2100 students),so not sure what to expect from him.
  • saltysistersaltysister Registered User Posts: 4 New Member

Decision Plan: ED2

Major(s) of Interest: Biology

Location: California (competitive school which feeds into high ranked colleges)

Race/Ethnicity: Indian

Recruited Athlete, or Legacy: N/A

GPA: UW: 3.7, W: 3.98

AP or IB: AP
    AP European History -- 3
    AP Psychology -- 5
    AP Biology -- 4
    Took AP Statistics but not sending that score

Class Rank: N/A

Test Scores: ACT: 31 but 32 superscore, SAT II: 720 Biology M

Extra Curricular, Community Service, or Co-Curricular(s): Volunteer for teacher for over 7 years. Volunteer at hospital. Volunteer at medical packing facility. Science student teacher during school break. President of community service club at school. Journalism for three years.

My GPA is on the lower side because of sophomore year when I messed up AP Euro and Chemistry. Huge upward trend though. Got a 4.5 this semester.
  • babbyloubabbylou Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited January 10
    College of Choice: Emory and Oxford

Decision Plan : RD

Major(s) of Interest: Biology

Race/Ethnicity: White

Recruited Athlete, or Legacy: N/A

GPA: (UW and Weighted) 4.0UW/4.54W

AP or IB: Sophomore Year: AP Biology (4)
    Junior Year: APUSH (5), US Government and Politics (5), Chemistry (didn't take test)
    Senior Year: AP English Lit and Calculus AB

Class Rank: 1/272

Test Scores: (SAT, ACT, or SAT 2's) 35 ACT (36 superscore), 1500 SAT

Extra Curricular, Community Service, or Co-Curricular(s): Co-captain of swim team, student council representative for three years, FFA officer for four years (secretary and vice president), Beta Club secretary, Chamber of Commerce student advisory board, vice president of Main Street teen board, active in my youth group (lead a middle school girls' Bible study and occasionally teach Sunday school), competed nationally for FFA twice placing 8th and 10th in the nation, competed nationally for FBLA twice

Any other interesting Info: AP Scholar, National Merit Semifinalist, Wendy's High School Heisman School Winner, valedictorian
  • dankush314dankush314 Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    does anyone know what the acceptance rate for economics major is? and how competitive is Emory's econ major?
  • TheTennisNinjaTheTennisNinja Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    @dankush314 I don't think Emory admits by major. If you want the overall acceptance rate, it was around 18% last year.
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,745 Senior Member
    Any idea of the breakdown between ED I, ED II, and RD admissions? I know they can vary a lot. I think at Lehigh last year it was 3X easier to get in ED I vs. RD. Literally. I can't find the numbers on Emory.
    edited January 13
    @collegemomjam
    This is class of 2021 stats, so 2 years ago
    https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-university-search/emory-university?searchtype=college&q=Emory+University+(GA)

ED1&2= 27%
    RD=17%
    Total=22%
    I think... Emory doesn't do a break down
  • collegemomjamcollegemomjam Registered User Posts: 1,745 Senior Member
  • chocolatehuskychocolatehusky Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    ahh waiting is the worst part of this! can't wait till march...
  • RejectedAcceptedRejectedAccepted Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    College of Choice: Both

Decision Plan : RD

Major(s) of Interest:Biology first choice, Chemistry second choice

Race/Ethnicity: Indian

Recruited Athlete, or Legacy: None

GPA: (UW and Weighted) 3.4UW 4.6 W

AP or IB: I took 16 APs: AP Human Geography, AP World History, AP Physics 1, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Calculus BC, AP US History, AP Lang, AP Chemistry, AP Physics C EMAG, AP Physics C Mechanics, AP Computer Science A, AP Biology, AP Environmental Science, AP Statistics, AP Micro Economics, AP Macro Economics, Taking dual enrollment with Georgia state university for college english. I took the most APs in my entire high school

Class Rank: Class doesn't rank

Test Scores: (SAT, ACT, or SAT 2's) 720 on SAT subject test for chemistry, 33 on ACT for one sitting, 32 on English, 35 on math, 31 reading, 34 science

Extra Curricular, Community Service, or Co-Curricular(s): Interned for Intel, Interned for Grady Hospital, Interned for a governmental hospital in India. Done over 300 hours of community service. Leader of Science Bowl, Science Olympiad, and Math team. Member of Academic team, science national honor society, math national honor society, National honor society, part of varsity rifle team. Also a part of student council.

Any other interesting Info: I got rejected from Georgia tech, so I feel pretty let down and that I don't think i can get in Emory. It was mostly because of my GPA.

• bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    @RejectedAccepted : Emory does not admit by major, so your 1st and 2nd choice are irrelevant, and the two schools have vastly different admissions schemes because their academic offerings differ, so you never know. If I had to guess, your GPA would kill you for Emory, but who knows? Your ECs are a bit standard to be applying RD and expecting much of a chance.

Also, you took all these APs. Did the exams go well (4/5) in most of them? That could help the adcoms decide if your GPA is a flight risk or not. Keep in mind that by applying to Emory, you are competing against intense OOS students (namely those from up north and mid-Atlantic states like Virginia) who likely went to better high schools.

*I would just really cross your fingers. It'll likely be a tough sell especially if those AP scores weren't strong for the most part.

Also, I am really mad if you applied to Tech wanting to be a biology major. Emory and lots of the top privates are a bit better for that (and even chemistry arguably). Admittedly Tech is a much cheaper option.
    @RejectedAccepted
    Well, you never know. Oxford has easier admissions, although still a reach. Hope you applied to safties.