Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory University / Oxford College Class of 2023 Thread

Replies to: Emory University / Oxford College Class of 2023 Thread

• romns116romns116 Registered User Posts: 515 Member
  • emorynavyemorynavy Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    @romns116
    It looks better from the ground, ill take a pic and see if I can post it on here somehow.
    It looks better from the ground, ill take a pic and see if I can post it on here somehow.
    that would be greatly appreciated! thanks @emorynavy
  • curiousa3curiousa3 Registered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    College of Choice: Emory College

Decision Plan: ED1

Major(s) of Interest: Engineering (dual Degree program with Georgia Tech)

Race/Ethnicity: Asian

GPA:
    3.8 Weighted
    3.65 Unweighted

AP or IB:
    AP Calculus AB
    AP Statistics
    AP Computer Science A
    AP Chemistry
    AP Physics 1
    AP Computer Science Principles
    College Courses:
    Mullti Variable Calculus
    Humanities

Class Rank: don't have any

Test Scores: 1470

Extra Curricular, Community Service, or Co-Curricular(s):
    Chemistry Club
    Volunteering over 250+ hours and president's award + leadership position there
    Debate Team JV/Varsity Debater + Judge + Captain of Debate Team for 3 years
    Two culture clubs- secretary and vice president
    Program at NYU for engineering
    Girls who code- teacher

Any other interesting Info:
    Low-income family
    First generation college student
    Also, recommendation letters should be pretty good and I think my essay was pretty good too.
    I also forgot to mention but I have SAT Subject tests of:
    Math II: 790
    Chemistry: 730
    Physics: 660
    And a 3.5 UW sorry for the confusion
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    @curiousa3 : May I ask what attracts you to Emory's dual degree program for engineering versus going for a school where you can immediately begin your engineering education? Is there a certain Emory major that you are interested in pursuing before doing your engineering degree?
    @bernie12 I wanted to do the Emory dual degree for many reasons. I know Emory is well known for their science classes and the community that they have and I want to be a part of that community while also getting a good education. I want to major in physics and astronomy before going to Georgia Tech because I want to major in mechanical engineering in the aerospace field. So going to Emory first and learning about the basics of physics and aerospace will help me for my future as I major in mechanical engineering in Georgia Tech. Also, financially it is more comfortable for me to attend Emory first even though I will be paying for 5 years instead of 4 since I am out of state. But the fact that I am getting a degree from both is also very intriguing.
    @bernie12
    @curiousa3
    Some freshman hipped me to the game. Getting into Emory for engineering is easier than trying to go straight to Tech as its a low impacted major at Emory.
    Smart imho.
    On topic: I think it's a High Match/low Reach simply because u want the dual program which isn't popular and ED1. However you GPA may be your Achilles heel.
    @romns116
    Do you or anyone know how to post pics to the site? I took pics of CLC.
  • Waiting2exhaleWaiting2exhale Registered User Posts: 2,688 Senior Member
    @emorynavy: I'm not sure you are allowed to post pics, as the moderators would need to be able to view it and
    clear it - determining there aren't any potentially offensive characteristics or aspects to it.
    @emorynavy
    I’ll pm you my email. Thanks for doing that.

Anyone applying through Questbridge? S19 will be applying via QB RD. Emory matches and admits more QB applicants than most partner schools.

I don’t wanna hijack, but I didn’t realize this was a chance me thread. If that’s the case, maybe I should post this in another thread.
    @romns116
    It's an everything thread about the upcoming admissions cycle. I thought it would be best to have everything in one thread.
  • ljberkowljberkow Registered User Posts: 487 Member
    "Getting into Emory for engineering is easier than trying to go straight to Tech as its a low impacted major at Emory."

I wasn't aware that Emory admitted by major and that there were backdoor ways of getting admitted. How would freshmen know about how to game the admissions committee? This doesn't seem right.
  • bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    edited October 2018
    @emorynavy : Do not encourage that logic, it is a horrible idea. Also, Tech has so many engineering majors, so that makes no sense. Depends on which one and how many spots. Unless Emory truly offers one something they really really want to major in, do not promote the 3-2 pathway as the attrition is super high. Forget admissions. Unless they see a special major at Emory calling them, they should apply to real engineering programs first and so many of them are excellent such that there is plenty of choice at all selectivity levels. Let us get with it please.

@curiousa3 : Eh, please do not let the prestige of "having both degrees" entice you. There is nothing special about physics majors at Emory. Maybe math, chem, biology, NBB, QTM, something, but not that, though arguably the astronomy track gets better teaching in some classes than the others. I would be worried about the quality of key physics courses versus Georgia Tech's that are supposed to prep you for something like mechanical engineering. At Emory, the calculus based physics foundation course usually falls way short in the right type of rigor. If I were you and went this route, I would take the best STEM courses OUTSIDE of physics that you could if admitted and matriculated. This includes your chemistry and especially math. You will need to take the best instructors to ensure your preparation and a smooth transition to tech. Simply "learning about stuff" ain't enough, as you need to take those who help you learn true problem solving skills that may translate to engineering courses that apply the basic sciences foundation immediately. Look to classes and teachers that stress application and not plug and chug or memorization. In this case, a degree is not just a degree and learning content
    at a basic level shouldn't be some major goal.