Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance Me Emory University

2»

Replies to: Chance Me Emory University

• collegemom9collegemom9 Registered User Posts: 382 Member
    @ljberkow are you an alumni? Not arguing with you in the least just trying to determine how important the interview can be since my son did get one and thought that it went extremely well. I would love to think that interview carries some weight and that interviews wouldn't be conducted with kids who don't stand a chance. Like I said everyone my son knows was offered one but they are all pretty high stats kids (some RD and some ED).
  • ljberkowljberkow Registered User Posts: 488 Member
    edited November 2018
    @collegemom9 I am stealing a link from a prior year post by Biff Brown which mentions Emory and interviews among the alumni interview process. The interviews matter, but maybe more to clearing up close calls among candidates.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/12/the-futility-of-college-interviews/549359/

I like this one better in the AJC. It's written by a Penn alumni, but I think it's similar.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/get-schooled/alumni-interviews-help-students-get-into-top-colleges/OjmtDpYyPCyVVFhsZh9jHN/

Yes, I am an alumni (an old alumni, but still an alumni) and somewhat involved in EAA events in my area. Emory's application process is holistic and everything counts.
  • TheTennisNinjaTheTennisNinja Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    @emorynavy Interviews are both informational and evaluative so they do matter for prospective students:
    https://apply.emory.edu/apply/interviews.php
  • BiffBrownBiffBrown Registered User Posts: 452 Member
    Whether informational, evaluative or both, interviews take up valuable resources in the Office of Admissions and by drawing on alumni time. Thus, I suspect that applicants with no chance of admission aren't offered interviews by Emory.

That being said, I've heard that some schools like Princeton strive to interview all applicants.

The data released in the ongoing Harvard admissions litigation shows that alumni interview reports are given weight at least by Harvard.
    https://www.chronicle.com/article/3-Takeaways-From-Harvard-s/244853

• bernie12bernie12 Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    edited November 2018
    @BiffBrown @ljberkow @TheTennisNinja Y'all are so nice and dignified...Did anyone think that they restarted/did these interviews for "fun"? Furthermore, did they expand their scope to even include some cities abroad for fun? Clearly only one person who answered so far believes that.
  • emorynavyemorynavy Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    edited November 2018
    @bernie12 @ljberkow @TheTennisNinja
    lol, these interviews do not have much weight in the process, and final decision making. If the ultimate goal for the student is to get admitted, then the interview won't matter much. It serves other purposes. Some of you proved my point with the Harvard and Princeton anecdotes, It's been revealed that Harvard does not give a damn what the alumni have to say about the student, they will come to their own conclusion about the students personality based on the application (whether fair or not, not what I'm arguing) and make a decision. My focus was on the getting admitted not really anything else, sorry if I didn't convey that the first time.
  • ProfessorMom1ProfessorMom1 Registered User Posts: 379 Member
    edited November 2018
    For what it’s worth, last year my child applied RD and was waitlisted. ED will make a difference in the strength of your app. My kid’s stats were as follows: double legacy (parent and grandparent), ACT 35, GPA 3.7, campus visit, early app for scholarship consideration. ECs were not textbook spectacular but coalesced in a unique and compelling narrative. Waitlisted. Ended up going to a different T20.
  • BiffBrownBiffBrown Registered User Posts: 452 Member
    @emorynavy

"It's been revealed that Harvard does not give a damn what the alumni have to say about the student"

Where did you read this?

Yes, Harvard also gives each candidate a personality score but nowhere does anyone say that the alumni interview scores get no weight.

• emorynavyemorynavy Registered User Posts: 277 Junior Member
    @ProfessorMom1
    Wow, I'm surprised tbh. I personally think legacies are important for cultural reasons for the campus, especially for a campus that could use more of it. But I think Legacy status only counts for ED.
    edited November 2018
    @emorynavy There was another poster on CC with a similar story a year or two ago. I confess I was surprised, though. We were even more surprised when we got the rest of the admissions results. A handful of T20, including an elite scholarship. I suppose it confirms the very subjective “holistic” admissions decisions. Incidentally, according to Emory’s website, there’s no distinction between ED and RD legacy: http://www.alumni.emory.edu/about/legacy-admission.html. Of course, publication and practice don’t always go together.
    @ProfessorMom1 where does it say in the link that there is no distinction between ED and RD legacy? I don’t see it.
    @collegemom9 The policy does not say legacy only applies to ED. In other words, there’s no distinction offered on that webpage. It mentions neither RD nor ED. What they do in practice (anecdotally) vs what their stated policy is may differ.
    @ProfessorMom1 gotcha. There is no stated policy.
2»