Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
DynamicDivaDynamicDiva Registered User Posts: 204 Junior Member
edited July 2006 in Emory University
Is Emory a diffcult shcool to get into? Is it considered an Ivy or sub-Ivy?
Post edited by DynamicDiva on

Replies to: ???

• NorCalDadNorCalDad Registered User Posts: 753 Member
    it could be... and no, it's not an ivy
  • amadaniamadani Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    it is difficult to get into and becoming more so each year. this year emory recieved 2,000 more applications than the previous year and accepted around a little below 30% i think. it is definetly a great school with a ranking consistently within the top 20 but, if by ivey you mean top ten school or so, it has not been in the top ten since 97 when it was 9.
  • Moe.Moe. Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    DynamicDiva, eight schools comprise the Ivy athletic league. There is no such thing as a "sub-Ivy." Either a school is a member of the Ivy athletic league or it isn't. So, Cornell is an Ivy school, MIT is not. Both are difficult to get into, and I doubt MIT thinks of itself as "sub-Cornell." There is another athletic league (NESCAC) comprised of academically elite liberal arts colleges and universities which are sometimes referred to as the Little Ivies. And before the majority went co-ed, there was a group of women's schools referred to as the Seven Sisters which had close ties to the predominantly male Ivies.
  • brand_182brand_182 Registered User Posts: 7,589 Senior Member
    and Bryn Mawr needs to become co-ed...sorry, that's a bit off topic, but I really loved the looks of that place until I realized it's impossible for me to get in :)
  • WS17WS17 Registered User Posts: 663 Member
    Actually, Emory is a member of the University Athletic Association (UAA), a conference of 8 schools all ranked in the Top 35, located in metropolitan areas, and as research universities are more like typical Ivy schools than NESCAC schools are. The UAA may be little known because it is NCAA Divsion 3 and is only about 20 years old. Plus, what's easier to say "ivy" or "uaa"? ;)

http://www.uaa.rochester.edu/

Oh BTW, Carnegie Mellon beat Princeton in mens basketball last season!
This discussion has been closed.