right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Coed floor vs Single-Sex Floor

Classof2020KidClassof2020Kid 126 replies10 threads Junior Member
Hello! I'm an incoming freshman. I was wondering if any current or past students could give some insights between the similarities and differences between co-ed and single-sex floors? I chose single-sex because I assumed it'd be quieter, calmer. While I am not against having fun with friends, I don't like partying and want to avoid it as much as possible, as well as alcohol and etc. Not judgmental, just not my thing! Anyway, can anyone give some insight, please? I'm a guy, by the way.
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Coed floor vs Single-Sex Floor

• ljberkowljberkow 668 replies5 threads Member
    Hello! I'm an incoming freshman. I was wondering if any current or past students could give some insights between the similarities and differences between co-ed and single-sex floors? I chose single-sex because I assumed it'd be quieter, calmer. While I am not against having fun with friends, I don't like partying and want to avoid it as much as possible, as well as alcohol and etc. Not judgmental, just not my thing! Anyway, can anyone give some insight, please? I'm a guy, by the way.

My son lived on a single sex floor in a dorm his freshman year. I believe he didn't choose a preference. His dorm was in the Complex, which was across the street from the business school (where he took accounting classes) and the library where he studied. There was also no construction (not an issue anymore) issues in that location. Unlike state schools, I don't believe any of Emory's freshmen dorms can be described as "rowdy", but you shouldn't expect any of them to be sedate either. If you haven't found a roommate online who shares your preference for a quiet room, you should draw that to the attention of housing on your housing questionnaire. I will always believe the most important thing is finding a good roommate. Good luck!

· Reply · Share
  • dfmapqjdfmapqj 8 replies1 threads New Member
    I'm currently a first-year at Emory. Living on a co-ed or single-sex floor won't cause less or more partying. Choosing a single-sex floor will decrease your options of where you can live as only Dobbs, Alabama, and Complex are single-sex floors. The rest are co-ed and more recently built/renovated. I chose a single-sex floor, and Emory gives preference to those over what dorm theme best matches you. My advice would be to pick single-sex if you're not comfortable living on the same floor as girls(some of the co-ed dorms have co-ed/gender-neutral bathrooms and some have single-sex). If anyone does get too noisy, that's what the RA on-call is for. I had a few issues with people being loud, but for the most part students at Emory are serious and were quiet on the weekdays.
    · Reply · Share