Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
2»

Replies to: Rankings

• pugachevpugachev Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    The next $100 million+ donation we get needs to be dedicated to the creation of an engineering school. We've got med, law and business covered, eventually we're gonna need the 4th mainstay of a major university. Can't we just steal all of Georgia Tech's excellent professors by offering them higher salaries? They wouldn't even have to move!

It would also be interesting if we could incorporate a state supported engineering college within the University just as Cornell does (although not with their engineering college). Perhaps in this way we could incorporate part of Georgia Tech.

Closer association with the Carter Center, CNN and the CDC is also a major key to increasing Emory's success. If we could make the Carter Center a branded name in the realm of international policy and peace studies it would go a long way in increasing Emory's visibility. Closer association with the CDC would greatly enhance Emory's position in the medical field. Increasing cooperation with CNN is obviously another easy way to help increase the schools visibility and significantly improve the poly sci department. The establishment of a communications department in association with CNN is also a strategic goal that really needs to be pursued.
  • atmosphereatmosphere Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    I cant see Emory starting an engineering school ever... Tech has got that in atlanta
  • el duqueel duque Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    as much as i love the idea, atmosphere is right. emory's never going to start an engineering school, nor is it going to go D1. i think emory's 2 main concerns with D1 are the athletic scholarships that supposedly bring the rest of the student body down and the huge investment of time, space, and money that it takes to build a legitimate program. emory also cites washu as proof that a school doesn't truly need a D1 program to gain recognition.

i personally think the school is being way too conservative and that there's not as much at stake as they make it seem. And when you consider what they're spending the money on instead (like the new rock climbing wall at the woodpec, constant improvements)...it kind of shows a lack of creativity just as much as an unwillingness to take risks.

and even though an engineering school sounds like a great idea to make us a more attractive all-around school and boost our rank, you have to keep in mind that the new school could just as easily pull it down. taking into account everything that goes into the usnews formula, emory would have to hire just as high of quality professors to attract equally high quality applicants, hire enough of them to keep the student:faculty ratio down, somehow graduate the engineering kids at the same rate as everyone else even though engineering has some of the toughest majors available, keep the retention rate up, hope the engineers donate as frequently as the businessmen, lawyers, and doctors that compose the vast majority of emory's current alumni...and this is just off the top of my head. anyway, that's just consolation. i know it's not the real reason.
This discussion has been closed.