Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
SUNY1111SUNY1111 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
edited August 2007 in Emory University
If these ranking are correct, it looks as if Emory has broken the tie with Vanderbilt and moved up to 17. Im under the impression that this is where the school will top out... as the next tier of schools at 14 are JHU/Northwestern/Brown. So, ... is this where we peak?
Post edited by SUNY1111 on

Replies to: Rankings

• amadaniamadani Registered User Posts: 522 Member
    These rankings are probably correct but I don't understand why you think that Emory will "top out" at this spot. The schools at 14 are not another tier, rather, they all have the same overall score. Accordingly, if Emory's overall score increases because of admission rate, alumni giving, peer assessment, etc. then it will move up.
  • SUNY1111SUNY1111 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    fair enough... just looking for opinions
  • DC20005DC20005 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    History would suggest you're right.

Emory University's USNWR Rankings:

'83 '85 '88 '89 '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 '06 '07
    ...........25.22................21.25.16..17..19..9..16.18..18..18.18.18..20..20..18

Emory's rank will increase if and when its Peer Assessment score improves. As an alumnus, I feel we're pretty close to where we should be, nestled between schools that can solidly be considered our peers.
  • dgeblldgebll Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    "I feel we're pretty close to where we should be, nestled between schools that can solidly be considered our peers."

I couldn't agree more.
  • atmosphereatmosphere Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    where are the rankings?
  • prepdude2prepdude2 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    the school's only getting better. finally broke the tie with vandy.
  • DC20005DC20005 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    >>>> "the school's only getting better. finally broke the tie with vandy."

Comments such as this lack historical perspective, and tend to reflect the attitudes of current students who have attended to rankings only in recent years.

Since the inception of the USNWR college rankings, Emory has been ranked higher than Vanderbilt 13 times whereas Vanderbilt has outranked emory only 5 times. We have tied once.

For the decade between 1995 and 2004, Emory was ranked higher each year, and, on average, by a full 3.5 spots.

It's been cute to see the young Vandy students snipe at Emory. We know better than to take the bait..

http://chronicle.com/stats/usnews/index.php?category=Universities
  • dell123dell123 Registered User Posts: 333 Member
    Congrats to Emory. Vandy stinks ;).
  • SUNY1111SUNY1111 Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Keep in mind that I have only visited Emory, and will only begin as a student in about a week.... but I see the US News rankings as always attempting to keep the status quo, using slightly different/skewed numbers to ensure no large scale changes in the elite. With that in mind, I see the schools right in front of Emory, namely JHU and Brown, and have a hard time seeing the US news allowing Emory to ever leap them. Then again, there is no real difference between a school ranked 15, 20, or 30 for that matter. Ehh, forget it, im done with rankings.... i feel dirty just discussing them this much. Sorry for bringing the subject up.

All i really care about is grad school. As long as grad schools know what Emory is all about, itll be alright.
  • prepdude2prepdude2 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    DC20005, that was just a compliment to the university,
    as i will be attending emory in a week or so.
  • pugachevpugachev Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    If we get a D1 Basketball team and maybe a Lacrosse team you'll see us break into the next level. Also, getting an engineering program would be really helpful. I know for a fact the University Board of Directors has thought about adding a basketball team. As the endowment skyrockets, the costs of running a D1 sports program become more and more insignificant (the size of our endowment is rising significantly faster than costs associated with a sports team). Even now building a $100 million sports program almost seems like a drop out of the bucket when we have an endowment that will break $10 billion within 10 years.

Basically I think we need to buy Georgia Tech.

Somehow I saw the rankings 3 weeks early on this random website from this guy who claimed to have inside info. I didn't want to repost them here because I didn't really trust them. Turns out the guy was completely right.
  • pugachevpugachev Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    I think in the long term University rankings will correlate more to endowment size. Everything is dictated by the financial resources a university has at its disposal (i.e. research opportunities, facilities, high profile speakers, high profile professors, nice campus). As time goes on, the gap between university endowments is only going to increase. In 20 years, Harvard is going to be looking at a $100 billion endowment. Other high endowment universities will simply be able to outpay poorer university's professors and outbuy them in facilities. Eventually, universities will be the wealthiest institutions of any kind in the world (exclusive of governments in the near future). Emory is very well positioned from this respect.

Emory also has a lot going for it in being in Atlanta. Historically the city was a rustical, Southern ****hole. Now the city is growing by leaps and bounds adding a significant business presence and creating a respectable city (outpacing growth in nearly every other major city in the country exclusive of Phoenix). No longer is location such a hindrance to potential Emory applicants. In addition to making Atlanta a more desirable city, this growth gives Emory many more corporate benefactors. Being by far the most prestigious university in Atlanta, Emory is the natural institutional partner for these corporations. Additionally, this opens up many more local job opportunities for Emory graduates.
  • Blaze991Blaze991 Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    Interesting posts pugachev. I also think that Emory benefits tremendously from being in Atlanta because of how big it is and how fast it is growing, especially since Emory is the only nationally known university in Atlanta. Emory has no competition in Atlanta or in much of the Southeast for that matter. I don't count GT as a "nationally known university" since its public and draws students mostly from Georgia, and is not strong across the board, being mostly known for engineering.

I think having an engineering program would make Emory a more complete top pre-professional school. Emory has a top b-school and pre-med program, but it noticeably lacks an engineering program.

The 3-2 engineering program with G-Tech isn't a real substitute for an engineering program, and it doesn't seem to be very popular at all. An engineering student who is presented with the choice of doing Emory's 3-2 program mine as well just forget about Emory and enroll at Tech; GT is much cheaper if you're in-state OR out-state.
  • Blaze991Blaze991 Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    Interesting posts pugachev. I also think that Emory benefits tremendously from being in Atlanta because of how big it is and how fast it is growing, especially since it's the only nationally known university in Atlanta. Emory has no competition in Atlanta or in much of the Southeast for that matter. I don't count GT as a "nationally known university" since its public and draws students mostly from Georgia, and is not strong across the board, being mostly known for engineering. Moreover, Emory doesn't have engineering so there is no competition anyways.

I think having an engineering program would make Emory a more complete top pre-professional school. Emory has a top b-school and pre-med program, but it noticeably lacks an engineering program.

The 3-2 engineering program with G-Tech isn't a real substitute for an engineering program, and it doesn't seem to be very popular at all. An engineering student who is presented with the choice of doing Emory's 3-2 program mine as well just forget about Emory and enroll at Tech; GT is much cheaper if you're in-state OR out-state.
This discussion has been closed.