Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Questions about campus life at Emory

greg-stergreg-ster Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
edited August 2007 in Emory University
Howdy! No chancing here - i'm already accepted as a transfer, and seriously deciding whether I should go to Emory or Tulane (or even go elsewhere) :)

I was wanting to get a feel for campus life at Emory, mostly basic stuff...I visited during the summer, but it is hard to get a feel for things when no one is around.

Is there a lot to do on campus on a given day such as speakers, music/performing arts, movies, other stuff?

Also, do students typically hang out outside during their down time, doing stuff like playing frisbee, hanging out with friends, someone occasionally playing an instrument, etc? Or do students basically make a beeline from class to their dorms or the library?

Basic question: is there an area in the university center with comfy couches that are conducive to reading, doing work on a laptop, and meeting a small group - somewhere with an atmosphere similar to a Starbucks? I know (and really like) that Tulane's univ. center has a place on the 2nd floor just like that.

Thanks!
Post edited by greg-ster on

Replies to: Questions about campus life at Emory

• Blaze991Blaze991 Registered User Posts: 634 Member
    Asbury Circle is where students tend to dawdle during weekdays when classes are in session. And on Wednesday afternoons, Asbury Circle is where students partake in a weekly tradition known as "wonderful wednesdays." Students play music, set up tables, etc. Usually, there is something worthwhile to see. For instance, one Wednesday afternoon a petting zoo was set up.

In a given week, there is usually some sort of event going on.. Movies, speakers, etc.
    are all pretty common.

In general, students are active on campus, which means they take advantage of what the gym has to offer, they typically participate in many ECs, and they socialize at the library and elsewhere on campus. They definitely do not resemble a beeline.

Emory's campus is a good venue for doing stuff because it is beautiful and quaint, and the climate is relatively mild.

To address your question specifically, I've seen a lot of students play frisbee before on campus and I've seen someone playing a guitar on at least one occassion.
  • el duqueel duque Registered User Posts: 310 Junior Member
    i found nice little study places all over the campus. there actually IS a starbucks in the village. there's a good, small study room in the DUC. Cox's computer lab is good for groups, and obviously if you need to use a computer. the first floor of the library is pretty much a giant, all-purpose type study area. there's more, but those were my favorites.

as for the social scene, i have one observation i think worth mentioning. during non-school hours and non-party hours, so basically evenings and during the day on weekends, the campus is depressingly empty. i'm not saying nobody does anything but study and party or that it's an inactive campus, but part of the reason people choose emory is for the great weather. so it is somewhat mysterious when you go outside on a beautiful afternoon and there's nobody to be found.
This discussion has been closed.