Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

A bit preemptive, but can I get some opinions on Emory Greek life?

Replies to: A bit preemptive, but can I get some opinions on Emory Greek life?

• alncdrealncdre Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Tridelt is the slut sorority and also has a small rep for doing coke. Again, this is not everyone and im sure there are extreme girls in each house. They have shirts that say "party with tridelt" I think that sums it up pretty good. But thetas are known for going out a lot too. these two have the funnest reputations. and phi is good too. and adpi goes out a lot just not as much as theta tridelta and phi.
  • rodneyrodney Registered User Posts: 9,406 Senior Member
    does anyone else think it's kinda weird that tridelt's rep hasn't changed at Emory in 35 years? that was the rep in the 70's....lol
  • fuzzleshnopsfuzzleshnops - Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    Funnest reputation is subjective.

My idea of fun is not getting drunk and doing coke.

Do tridelts nationally have that reputation, or does it only apply to Emory?
  • missy411missy411 Registered User Posts: 92 Junior Member
    I heard that tridelt girls at Vandy are also trashy but i don't know really...
  • rodneyrodney Registered User Posts: 9,406 Senior Member
    D is tridelt at Syracuse; highest GPA of all SU sororities; won sorority achievement award last two years.........trashy? um, better not be.....no, seriously, I don't think so.....

When she was pledging, very close friend who is Emory alum told me the old saying...."when in doubt, try delt"........
  • alncdrealncdre Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    "tri delt, everyone else has"... definitely not as classy as thetas, but stereotypes don't mean as much at emory as they do at state schools
  • phaethphaeth Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    There are national stereotypes for most frats/sororities, but they don't apply at every school and obviously not for each member.

Tridelt is generally known for being slutty but the Emory chapter is tame in comparison to chapters elsewhere.

bottom line: You'll have an entire semester (plus formal rush) to meet girls in the different sororities and figure out which one is best for you.

If it were me, I'd be between Theta and Tridelt but everyone is different.
  • pimpollitapimpollita Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    okay so theta is clearly the "best", how is it socioeconomically and ethnically divided?
  • fuzzleshnopsfuzzleshnops - Posts: 1,594 Senior Member
    Okay. Here is my limited experience from my two close friends who pledged.

One of my friends, who is very classy, sophisticated, and really nice (think rich girl from a Virginia academy/day school) pledged TriDelt.

Another one of my friends from elementary school who is very silly, kind, and would never get into trouble pledged Delta Phi Epsilon.
  • Transfer2013Transfer2013 Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    I don't see why kids would want to pledge in frats/sororites....you are paying people to be your friend?
  • dna3dna3 Registered User Posts: 229 Junior Member
    Most people rank them like this:

Theta
    Tridelt
    Kappa
    Adpi/Gamma Phi
    Dphie
    SDT
  • dgeblldgebll Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    "I don't see why kids would want to pledge in frats/sororites....you are paying people to be your friend?"

This is an ignorant statement by someone who doesn't have any first-hand experience in the matter. I am in a fraternity, and when I was in college, I paid dues. I had friends both in and out of my fraternity. Likewise, I disliked people both inside and outside my fraternity. I knew brothers who, after a period of time, decided that they did not want to continue being active members in my chapter, so they decided to deactivate from the chapter. They continue to be friends with people both inside and outside my fraternity.

Although the comparison isn't perfect, in response to this statement, you can compare a fraternity to a club. (There is more to them than that, but to make the point, I'll use this example). You can be friends with people in the chess club or business club or book club whether or not you are a member of it. Likewise, members of those clubs can be friends with people inside or outside of the clubs.

In a fraternity, you're paying for things like the meal plan, upkeep of the house, dues to the national fraternity, and all the hundreds of other expenses that go along with running a chapter. You're not paying so that those other people will hang out with you. In fact, if someone doesn't like you, they probably won't be friends with you, and you won't be friends with them, just like in any other organization you have been or will be a part.
  • lushandlivelylushandlively Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I'd like to echo pimpollita's question about Theta (and Tridelt too, why not), is there a general ethnicity that most girls fall into in these sororities, and as someone mentioned earlier about AEphi being mostly Jewish, would it be harder to pledge into Theta or Tridelt if you are not of this majority ethnic group?
  • phaethphaeth Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    Thanks for reviving this post so we can all laugh at DNA's "rankings"

Lush, most of the girls in Theta and Tridelt are white, but most of the girls who rush in general are white. Your chances have everything to do with how well you get along with the sisters, and nothing to do with ethnicity.
  • 5SchoolApplicant5SchoolApplicant Registered User Posts: 199 Junior Member
    Aww...I like Gamma Phi! What's so wrong with it?
This discussion has been closed.