Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory Scholars vs. Duke

Replies to: Emory Scholars vs. Duke

• renotserenotse Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    vtoodler wrote

"I would choose Emory."

Have you been accepted to Duke? If not then it is hard to take your opinion as objective.

vtoodler wrote

"renotse, what do you mean by "sketchy?"

newabc said, in the fifth post, the area around Duke was "sketchy". I was using his/her words to relate that the immediate surroundings of Duke are different but similarly upscale just like those close to Emory. If you travel several miles from Emory or Duke you get into a decidedly urban environments. Some people are not comfortable in an urban environment.
  • gmf05gmf05 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    To answer the question: yes, the choice is essentially between being an Emory Scholar and going to Duke. The price difference is over $12,000/year (plus the fact that much of Duke's aid is in loans and work study) and there's of course the differences in special perks and whatnot as well.

I am planning on going to law school, and when I went to the pre-law information session during Blue Devil Days, Duke certainly seemed confident of its abilities to get students into top law schools. So, in this regard, Duke would seem the better option.

But I'm worried that I might feel utterly overwhelmed at Duke. I don't know whether my GPA would be significantly lower there, which would certainly play into law school admissions. Also, the irony is that in going to Duke where I might be better poised to go to HYPS law schools, I would've dipped well into my college fund and leave myself virtually unable to pay for such a school. Suggestions, more input? Everything so far is much appreciated. Thank you.
  • gmf05gmf05 Registered User Posts: 132 Junior Member
    Also, there is another benefit to Emory - far more AP credits coming into school. I'd have more core classes done (although I admittedly don't know Emory's requirements), and I could dabble a bit more in things that interest me.
  • renotserenotse Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    gnf05 wrote :

"Also, the irony is that in going to Duke where I might be better poised to go to HYPS law schools, I would've dipped well into my college fund and leave myself virtually unable to pay for such a school. Suggestions, more input? "

Harvard's, as well as YP, undergrad need based aid is far better than both Emory's and Duke's. I do not know how its Law School aid compares but it should be similar. It is my opinion that you first prepare yourself academically by going to the best school you can gain admittance to, then figure out the financial issues. The top schools are good about meeting demonstrated need.

It won't matter that you have ample funds if you are not accepted to a good law school.
  • newabcnewabc Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    I attended a summer camp at Duke over the course of a few years, and the staff was very careful to tell us not to walk around by ourselves. The camp was on East Campus, and 9th street (I think that's what it's called) is cute and artsy, but the area around it is not what I'd call safe. I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around alone there at night. At Emory, we are surrounded by Druid Hills-where they filmed Driving Miss Daisy. I don't hesitate to walk around alone here.
    Also, I think it's a little bit silly to talk about any school "getting" their students into a post-graduate program. A student gets themself in, and Emory students may or may not be the same caliber as Duke students. If you go anywhere and excel, you'll have an excellent chance of getting into a good program. As far as opportunities to excel, both Duke and Emory excel. One of the reasons I've grown to love Emory is its concern for undergrads-there's a really big push to make research available to undergrads here. I don't know how this compares to Duke, but here, there are several programs (SURE, SIRE, INSIGHT) aimed at promoting undergraduate research.
  • slipstream99slipstream99 Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    If money isn't an issue: Duke

If money is only sort of an issue: Duke

If money is an issue: Emory
  • yulsieyulsie Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    Post #19 - really is another nice feature of Emory - they also accept college credits - my son would enter, effectively as a second semester sophomore.

I know nothing about Duke, except that one of the reasons it was not on his list is because it seems 1/2 the people who go there are thrilled about it because of the sports. My son looks at a bigtime sports program as a negative - draining time, money, and attention from academics and the REALLY important stuff - the performing arts, of course! Takes all kinds, right?
  • yulsieyulsie Registered User Posts: 804 Member
    Law school - depending on your specialty area, it may not be important to attend a prestigious law school. If you do tax law or family law or criminal law or real estate law, it does not really matter. To use those examples, I know four very well-heeled attorneys (one in each of those areas) who graduated from no-name schools. They each worked at a law firm for a few years to learn the ropes, and started their own practice - they all easily earn over $250 per year without breaking a sweat, take very nice vacations, have second homes, etc. etc.

My mother always told me I should have gone to law school - financially, judging from the success of the attorneys I know, she would be right about that!
  • Devil May CryDevil May Cry Registered User Posts: 1,351 Senior Member
    i dont think they have one. LOL I love you man!!!!! You might very well be the greatest person on earth. Cheers.
  • newabcnewabc Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Offical mascot: an eagle named Swoop
    Unofficial (and more loved) mascot: Lord James W. Dooley
  • slipstream99slipstream99 Registered User Posts: 1,930 Senior Member
    yulsie, although the athletics are a big part of Duke, by no means do they detract from the academics.
  • boysx3boysx3 Registered User Posts: 5,164 Senior Member
    Yulsie--

your son sounds a lot like mine. He's a sophomore at Emory--loves it-- and one of the things he liked most about Emory was the lack of big time sports on campus, which keeps the administration's attention focused on the students and not just the athletes. Intramural sports are huge (he played varsity soccer and also for an elite travel club for 7 years) and so are other activites--there are a lot of a capellla groups, etc, that receive a lot of support from the students. And when he needs a sports fix, he and his friends go to see the pro teams (tickets are quite affordable--there are always special deals available through the office on campus)
  • morning missionmorning mission Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    emory scholars....i agree with copper
  • laxchic99laxchic99 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    i'm in the same place as you... i have no idea whether to do scholars or duke.
  • 7figures7figures Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I was sad to see college educated (or soon to be) people arguing a trivial question like this. It was like a 10-year old trying to justify why he spent all his allowance on a baseball card by saying that Barry Bonds had more HR than Mark McGuire and therefore the Barry Bonds card is better.

One cannot simply use the Harvard Law School admission stat to determine which school is better. I wouldn’t use the word “prestigious” when trying to say “well known” either. Prospective students should try to visit the school, talk to current students, sit in on classes, stay at the dorm, eat the cafeteria food, browse the bookstore, lie down on the lawn, bike, drive or walk around the neighborhood, etc. to picture yourself as a part of the surroundings and community. You have to (I know you don’t “have to” but this is a figure of speech) spend the next 4 years, make sure it is the place that YOU feel the most comfortable, YOU can “fit in” with the student body and it offers YOU the level of stimulation and challenge that YOU want. Not according to someone else, especially from the web.

I recently brought my D to visit some of the colleges she was considering. Like any other parents, my wife and I wanted to make sure she would maintain the “right” attitude and have an “unbiased” mind about the whole selection process. Although she still has not made her final decision, she gave me great comfort by telling me at the end of our trip that her selection criteria was not looking for a school that she can take the most from but a school that she can add the most value to.
This discussion has been closed.