Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory Scholars vs. Duke

Replies to: Emory Scholars vs. Duke

• dommengedommenge - Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Why can't you just type daughter? I dont get it, your grammar and use of diction is flawless, and then you go and throw me off by referring to your daughter as D
  • cantwaittogotocollegecantwaittogotocollege Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    dommenge, it is almost common to refer daughter as D.
  • dommengedommenge - Posts: 58 Junior Member
    How is that common? Common in every day usage? Would you say to another parent, "Your D and my D should room together"? Or is it just common for parents who post here? And if it is why? It's not as if i was question using misc. as apposed to writing miscelaneous. Do people refer to son as S? It seems kind of impersonal and strange to me, but then again i chose going to Emory based because Atl is home to sweet rappers.
  • cantwaittogotocollegecantwaittogotocollege Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    It's common online. It's just like saying IMO or AKA.
  • 7figures7figures Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Sorry Dommenge for my use of “D” for daughter. I didn’t expect it would bother anyone so much. I am surprised in this IM age, you have never seen it used before. It has also been used extensively throughout all the discussions in the site. Let’s not get hung up on this and focus on the topic of discussion. BTW, I will be the last person on earth who would feel impersonal about my D. Choosing a college is such a personal thing. Emory is a fine school. I knew you chose it for good reasons. Enjoy it.
  • audiophileaudiophile Registered User Posts: 2,590 Senior Member
    7figures, I enjoyed your post above.

Every internet discussion group seems to develop their own culture. I had never seen D or S used before, but it took me about 10 nanoseconds on this board to figure it out.
  • wka1121wka1121 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Got into Duke, Harvard, Yale, UNC and Emory. Chose Emory because Duke's academics are overrated, the campus isn't that nice, the emphasis on a bad basketball team is ridiculous, and I've met a lot of people up there and they were just morons. I applied to Harvard half-jokingly, never really considered going there considering the environment there and lack of a social life. Yale is the best ivy league IMO, however, the climate is a big turn off for me. I also didn't like the campus and surrounding area that much. UNC is a great school, has a great basketball team, lots of cool people, but it's just too big. So I chose Emory because of Atlanta, the quality of education there, and the people I met during my visists.

So is Duke better academically than Emory? Maybe so, but every school has its morons (Devil May cry, etc) so it's hard to trust the stuff you read here. Truthfully, I don't think Duke is that much better than Emory but Duke elitists will have you think otherwise.
  • solitaresolitare Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    If you are still deciding...here are my 2 cents from a kid who lives in Atlanta and visits Emory weekly.

I would say the biggest difference is the quality of student body, which obviously affects the school. I mean, the difference and experience in college life is when you aren't taking classes, and who you associate with during the off hours.

I go to an average public high school (SAT avg 1080) and a lot of kids (20-30) get into Emory, especially those who are known for slacking off, cheating, and a general lack of interest in studies. I would say a top 25% rank with 1300 will get you in, which wouldn't pass at Duke (2-3 students every year get in).

I don't know if this is true just because it is in state or not. Maybe Duke has just as many slackers coming from NC. But, at least in my school, there is a definite difference in the type of student that chooses to go to Duke or Emory. Also consider the fact that Emory draws a lot of students in state compared to Duke as well as Emory's yield of 13% to Duke's 40-something%.

Of course, very good students go there as well. My friend decided against Duke because he got the Woodruff Scholar, which is higher than Emory Scholar. Full ride+research grants for 4 years vs. Duke which he had to pay 9,000.

Hope this was helpful...at least more so than the guy who called Duke students "morons", the basketball team "bad", and passed up on Yale due to the weather(?).
  • EasttoWestEasttoWest Registered User Posts: 181 Junior Member
    solitare,

you are an idiot.
    i hate when people spread misinformation.
    you are clearly biased against emory.

A 13 percent yield? Are you kidding me?

1,677 (38%) of 4,357 admitted students enrolled

that's a 38% yield.
  • newabcnewabc Registered User Posts: 44 Junior Member
    Solitaire, a Woodruff Scholar is a type of Emory Scholar. All people with merit-based scholarships at Emory become Emory Scholars, no matter what the name of the scholarship. This includes the Goodrich C. White Scholars, who apply for the scholarship after their first or second years at Emory. And the Woodruff Scholarship doesn't come with research grants-those may have been administered through another program at Emory.
  • pmyenpmyen Registered User Posts: 539 Member
    My daughter's high school is one of the top-ranked public high schools in the U.S. We are located just outside D.C. Several top students recently have chosen to go to Emory. Last year's class president who had outstanding scores and grades went to Emory. This year, a student who was accepted at Harvard will also be going to Emory. I suspect they were Emory Scholars and the prestige/financial package swayed their decision. This is the rationale behind some schools using merit-based scholarships to bring students who would have otherwise have gone to an Ivy, Duke or top LAC to their campus. It seems to have worked at our high school!
  • cleareyedguycleareyedguy Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Duke and Emory and Harvard and Georgia Tech are more similar than they are different. Lots of bright students and teachers. It's the inner passion that is the telling difference, not the college at which you matriculate.
  • Smoke&MirrorsSmoke&Mirrors Registered User Posts: 411 Member
    Um, Duke>Emory

In my family, it's go big or go home.
  • greengrunt124greengrunt124 Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    you're a snobby ahole, I'd rather go to community college then have to put up with dumbasses like u....
  • cleareyedguycleareyedguy Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Smokeandmirrors has several recent posts, all of which are naive and reductionistic; the guy doesn't represent Duke:

Brown>Duke on the party scale.

Um, Duke>Emory In my family, it's go big or...

If you go to the Berkeley sub-forum, there is a thread called 8 reasons not to attend Berkeley. Check it out.

Some people seem to be bagging on Georgetown, but I think it sounds pretty awsome. Strong name. Dartmouth and Amherst are cooler though.

etc.
This discussion has been closed.