Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory or UT Plan 2!!! Helppppppppppp

Replies to: Emory or UT Plan 2!!! Helppppppppppp

• Woodlands_kidWoodlands_kid Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Bump please
  • vtoodlervtoodler Registered User Posts: 2,111 Senior Member
    I still support the emory plan. Think of all the opportunites that are available in a vibrant metropolis such as Atlanta. In Atlanta, there is.....

1. The Carter Center
    2. Centers for Disease Control
    3. Yerkes National Primate Research Center
    4. CNN
    5. Countless law offices and corporate offices (much more than you would find in Austin)
    6. Capitol Building

Because there are so many business in Atlanta, internships are readily available to Emory students. Although Austin is a nice city, it does not compare to Atlanta. Atlanta is a bustling, dynamic city, which keeps growing in diversity and size. How can you pass up the opportunity to live in such a city?

Furthermore, if you want to challenge yourself at Emory, then you can do that. Emory has an honors college, which I believe is more prestigious than the UT program.

The Emory environment is one where you will find diverse and outgoing people who share in a passion for academia. Woodlands_kid, don't you want to be part of this great intellectual atmosphere?

To be honest with you, both options sound good. Good luck in whichever plan you choose.
  • crazydesi383crazydesi383 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Wow, woodlands_kid. Me and you pretty much are in the exact same dilemma!! I'm also trying to decide among Emory, Plan II, and Rice. Any suggestions there??
  • morning missionmorning mission Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    i still support UT plan 2...
  • skigirlskigirl Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    "ut is not as clique-ish as emory is, either. i think it'd be better at ut than emory."

...UH have you been to UT?! lol.
    No doubt, UT is a great school & Id personally prefer Austin over Atlanta, but go visit both colleges. I didn't like the UT campus...but you might.
  • laxchic99laxchic99 Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    i have a lot of friends who go to UT, and yes i've also spent a weekend there with some of them. i used to live near houston, and EVERYONE from texas goes there. if he's from the woodlands, i just think he'll have an easier time fitting in and finding people to hang out with and stuff. i'll admit, emory's campus is MUCH better, but i personally think for woodlands_kid ut sounds better. to each his own, though, so it might be different lol
    yeah i totally agree- to each his own. I live in texas, also have been to UT many a times & know many people there & it just didn't seem to me that it was "less cliquesh" than emory. that's all I wanted to point out.
    I'm also from texas too. What about Rice?
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,517 Senior Member
    I would choose Rice. My D is there (soph) and it is wonderful. It is just the right size, the campus is nice and it is an intelligent and fun student body. Costs more than UT but probably less than Emory.
    which school has the edge in academics?
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Registered User Posts: 22,517 Senior Member
    Rice has the edge in academics.
    I think I've pretty much eliminated Plan II for several reasons. Now it's just down to Emory or Rice. Which one is better for pre-med?
  • vtoodlervtoodler Registered User Posts: 2,111 Senior Member
    I think that Emory is better for pre-med. They have a highly rated pre-med program. However, be warned that pre-med at Emory is very rigorous.
  • collegekid88collegekid88 Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    Good luck on your decision, woodlands_kid!!! :P

crazydesi383: One of the main reasons why I chose to attend Rice was because of the fact that it's right across the street from one of the largest medical complexes in the world. Many students who are attending Rice right now also mention the fact that research positions for undergraduates are more accessible at this university than other ones of its caliber.

But then again, it all comes down to where you feel more comfortable at. I'm not too familiar with Emory or Atlanta, but I'm sure they also have plenty of resources to facilitate your pre-med education. I just thought I should give my own little spill on Rice. Good luck on your decision.
    vtoodler- premed anywhere is very rigorous. could u elaborate more on why you mentioned emory specifically (as opposed to rice, ut, etc)?
This discussion has been closed.