Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory or UT Plan 2!!! Helppppppppppp

Replies to: Emory or UT Plan 2!!! Helppppppppppp

• vtoodlervtoodler Registered User Posts: 2,111 Senior Member
    I have a friend who is in Emory's pre-med program. My friend is really smart, but she has a lot of difficulty maintaining a good GPA(3.3+) at Emory. So, be prepared. But, I guess that you are right--pre-med is probably like that everywhere.
  • BabuMohanBabuMohan Registered User Posts: 150 Junior Member
    Emory is a like a resort man.
    The place is beautiful. As you complete each year, you get better housing.

Now education-wise, UT-Austin would probably be the better choice. All that matter when applying to Medschool are MCAT scores and your grades.
  • collegekid88collegekid88 Registered User Posts: 245 Junior Member
    You can't go wrong with either one.
  • Woodlands_kidWoodlands_kid Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Thank you guys very much for all your advice. I think I am going to accept my offer of admission to Plan 2 Honors at UT-Austin. Here are my reasons for picking it over Emory

1. Starting next year my parents would have to pay a lot more for Emory because I won't have any outside scholarships, which is unfair because Plan 2 is just as good as Emory.
    2. I was selected as a Texas Exes Scholar with a $1000 dollar per year award which makes UT the same price as Emory.
    3. I'll be closer to home. (There's always grad. school to go out state)
    4. Plan 2 fits my future plans better. (Going to med. school and hopefully working at Texas Childrens' {which is affiliated with Baylor})

Feel free to tell me your thoughts
  • vtoodlervtoodler Registered User Posts: 2,111 Senior Member
    Although I was hoping to see you at Emory, I wish you the best of luck.
    Thanks vtoodler, I wish you the same at Emory. I cannot tell you how hard it was deciding between the two but I guess I would have been happy at either place.

Enjoy all that Emory has to offer next fall. Good luck
  • crazydesi383crazydesi383 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    I've decided to attend Rice.

I wish you the best of luck at UT, woodlands_kid. Thanks to everyone for their comments! I wish you all the best of luck too!
  • wka1121wka1121 Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    Rice is in Houston, therefore it's immediately eliminated from discussion.

If all you care about is getting into a good medical school then go to UT. If you finish at the top of your class your med school application will look better. However, don't think that good medical school = good doctor. You don't have to go to Harvard to be a great doctor. And if you're becoming a doctor for the money, you're going into the wrong profession. That said, undergrad education is just as important as graduate school, which is why I chose Emory over some other places.
  • ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    vtoodler, your friend at Emory- what does she major in? Also, just wondering, if anyone is in premed and has a GPA that low, should he or she just stop considering about going to med school? (~3.3)
  • ecnerwalc3321ecnerwalc3321 Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    More appropriate to this thread, I was also admitted to Plan II and Emory chem/pre-med. However, since UT HASN'T given me any financial award, I will be attending Emory where it will cost me less than 10,000 a year.
  • IslandmomIslandmom Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    I think that choosing between Rice and Plan II might be made easier by having an idea of what you want to major in. Also, whether you like Houston or Austin.

I don't know much about Emory except that it has a good reputation. But then so do Plan II and Rice. I briefly visited Atlanta and found it to be a really interesting city. But I'm partial to Austin.

If you've visited all three schools and have still not made up your mind then think about how each school will best suit your major and then which school just "felt right" when you were there.

Wish I could be of more help. I know that my d would not get much financial aid if she went to Rice. Could this also be a factor in whether or not to choose Rice? Sounds like Emory and Plan II are really just about the same cost for you.
    Thanks crazydesi383. I wish you the best of luck at Rice. I bet you will really like it there. I stayed there over the summer for a convention and really liked the campus and all the surrounding amenities like the huge Medical Center and especially the Metro. LOL

Two of my friends are also going to Rice and are very excited. Rice is a very selective institution that is also very renowned for its academics as well as the general college experience you get there.

I wish you the best of luck in the future with your educational plans.
  • cookiemonstercookiemonster Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    if anyone is in premed and has a GPA that low, should he or she just stop considering about going to med school? (~3.3)
    are you kidding? 3.3 after going through classes like bio, chem, ORGO (aka DEATH), etc is a damn good gpa.

not to mention that if you want to go to med school, NOTHING should deter you from that. if youre giving up because of a 3.3 in college, you got some issues man. and maybe you shouldnt be a doctor anyway....

my sister is premed at gtown (or was, maybe, she's graduating this yr) and im almost positive she doesnt have a 3.3, but she's wanted to be a doctor since she knew what one was (literally). she's a little nervous about not having a good enough gpa, so shes taking a yr off to work at a hospital and get more experience for an edge.

never ever ever ever give up on your dreams. EVER.
    My last post on this board guys!!

Everything worked out perfectly after I replied yes to Plan 2. I got a really huge scholarship to UT and know a lot of friends who are going to be at UT next year also.

Because of the alumni connections, I might also have an internship with a heart surgeon in the Medical Center this year.

Thanks for all your opinions (especially the ones who told me Plan 2 was the better option) :)

I will be a happy Plan 2 guy next fall.
  • IslandmomIslandmom Registered User Posts: 284 Junior Member
    Congratulations on your decision and the scholarship. Hope you and my d get along at plan II :)
This discussion has been closed.