Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Very Generous Financial Aid

AgrophobicAgrophobic Registered User Posts: 845 Member
edited June 2005 in Emory University
I heard Emory has one of the best finanicial aid assitance in the nation. Is this true???
Post edited by Agrophobic on

Replies to: Very Generous Financial Aid

• vtoodlervtoodler Registered User Posts: 2,111 Senior Member
    Out of all the schools that I got admitted to, Emory gave me the best financial aid package. Their packages are usally at least 75% grants.
  • shapshap Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Vtoodler,

Did you demonstrate a financial need or was your aid based on merrit?
    It was based entirely on need. I didn't apply to any Emory merit scholarships.
  • copper45copper45 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    I was rejected twice in terms of financial aid by Emory, once when I first got in and the second time with study abroad (which, I was told, wasn't just need but also merit). I would say that's one of the biggest problems I've had with Emory.
    You were rejected by financial aid? Do you mean that Emory wouldn't give you financial aid?
  • cookiemonstercookiemonster Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    ive heard horror stories about financial aid. i think they give a lot out to some people, but they're really *****y in the office and the administration is so unorganized, always losing yoru forms and crap like that. basically from what ive heard, in terms of how much they give, it's good. interms of how much of a hassle it is to get that money, not so good.
    but i have no first hand experience, im just working off the stories of my roommate
    I heard that they give better packages to students with higher grades and SAT scores.
    My son has 1480 SATI, 3.8 unwiegted and 4.3 weighted GPA in a very competitive school, varsity sports, etc

He was offered a work study and a loan. Shoul we talk to the Fin Aid office or is it a waste of time?
  • spdfreakjivespdfreakjive Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Getting work study and a small loan are typical with a big financial aid package. Emory will NOT give you 100% grants unless it is a merit scholarship or you are an Emory Scholar.
    Well, there was no other cmponents to the 'big' Fin Aid package :)
  • elpresidenteelpresidente Registered User Posts: 62 Junior Member
    Financial aid package is based solely on the parents income and savings/investments. Emory's financial aid is much more generous than most, even most of the Ivies. No matter what your stats are you will receive the same need based financial aid. There is no point in appealing to the Financial Aid office unless your financial aid situation has changed, or you have a valid arguement as to why you need more.
  • dufus3709dufus3709 Registered User Posts: 3,052 Senior Member
    I found them to be very generous with need based aid. However, if your EFC (estimated family contribution) is too high, then you won't get FA grants anywhere.
    Emory gave me a much better package than Tulane and University of Chicago.
  • Old and TiredOld and Tired Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    My kid was offered (much) better packages at: Washington U., Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Chapel Hill, Berry (a LAC in NW Georgia), and the Univ of Georgia. Emory's "offer" amounted to the Hope Scholarship that Georgia gives to kids who earn a 3.0 in high school. We were not impressed...
  • jamimomjamimom Registered User Posts: 3,278 Senior Member
    These posts show how much financial aid offers can vary among schools and among kids. This is why a wide net should be cast if you need or want aid. Throwing merit money into the equation makes it even more interesting. Also a good reason why binding ED is not a good idea even to a school that is reputed to give good packages. The rep does not help you if you do not get what you want/need.
This discussion has been closed.