Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

living far from home

juventusjuventus Registered User Posts: 108 Junior Member
edited April 2009 in Emory University
So it's looking like Emory will be my home for the next 4 years. Currently, I live in Wisconsin and my friends are going UW-Madison. Though UW was an option, I've decided Emory's academics far outweigh the benefits of being relatively close to home and being among friends. Also, I'd like the experience of going it solo. However, I have to admit it's an intimidating prospect.

Can anyone share some experiences of moving to Emory from far away? If you can, include your experiences in getting new friends, adjusting to the area, the attitude, etc.

Thanks
Post edited by juventus on

Replies to: living far from home

• cpierscpiers Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    Avoid downtown Atlanta. Or at least don't go into the sketchy areas without company.
  • CmichalCmichal Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I don't know what you're used to, but Atlanta is great! The weather is beautiful, and there really is stuff to do everywhere. Buckhead, right next to Atlanta, has some beautiful houses that are fun to just drive through. Also, great restaurants and shopping. I don't go to Emory (yet, ha) but I've been to Atlanta countless times. Overall, be expected to be around upper middle class students. But my best advice to someone entering college is find a group or organization that you're interested in, and meet your friends through that. Moving might distract you at first and keep you to yourself, but remember to just have fun and enjoy! You're going to be at one of the best schools and in an awesome area to boot.
This discussion has been closed.