Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

GPA at Emory

mavsgirl41mavsgirl41 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
edited March 2010 in Emory University
so i know this a question thta might be hard to answer, but how hard is it to get a "good" (3.7+) GPA at Emory as a freshman? I mean I think i want go into premed but I'm not sure, and I've heard that Emory doesn't focus on major related classes much freshman year (compared to some other schools...) I mean if i want to go to med school, i want a good GPA, and if i'm going to end up with like a 3 at Emory when I can get a 4.0 at UT, taht kinda sucks! (even though the quality of education at Emory is superior, I suppose)
Post edited by mavsgirl41 on

Replies to: GPA at Emory

• mavsgirl41mavsgirl41 Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    come on guys. 12 views and zero replies? :(
  • rsirsi Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I have a friend who is a freshman at Emory and he's suggested that it's not too bad if you're willing to put in any kind of work at all.

Also I think he mentioned something about being able to drop a class right up until the final as a freshman with no "W" or incomplete on your transcript, but I'm not entirely sure.

Hope that helps!
  • AloneAlone User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 846 Member
    From what I have heard, if you work - you will get a good GPA
  • xblader134xblader134 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Mavsgirl,

My roommate is Pre-Med (and from San Antonio, not sure if your from Texas), he says that its more difficult to get a good GPA here than at UT, but its still do-able if you work hard. He thinks that its better to go here though, because the prestige and rigor of Emory is more attractive to Med Schools, and Emory is re-vamping their Pre-Med advising.
  • phaethphaeth Registered User Posts: 107 Junior Member
    My freshman year there were between 100-150 students who got a 3.9 or better first semester. (there was an honors society that listed all of the students who got in).

but how "hard" it is to accomplish is completely relative.

I know students with 3.9+ that barely study and think Emory is much easier than their high schools.

I also know students who publicly curse Emory for being so difficult compared to their high schools.
  • clutch01clutch01 - Posts: 50 Junior Member
    ^ I have heard that the non-science/non-business majors have an easier time at Emory making good grades...Any input about the intro-Science classes?
  • zhangtimezhangtime Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I just finished freshman year and got a 3.92 and doing Premed as well. First semester, I know that there were about 175 kids with above 3.90.
    ^^^^ dude what were your high school stats? Did have to work really hard for that 3.92....I would kill to have a 3.92 at Emory next year.....
  • koreanidiotekoreanidiote Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    if you study consciously everyday 2-3 hours a day you will get 3.9+ for sure!!!!

I never study until a day before exams and i still am pulling off 3.8++!!! (pre-med)
  • zhangtimezhangtime Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    I only had a 3.8 in high school. But I got my act together for college. Watch out for first semester. The partying is crazy. I would've got a 3.6 first semester. BUT, freshman year, you're allowed one class to drop up to the day before finals. So i dropped a class I would've gotten a B in. That will help you a lot next year.

And of course you'll hvae to work. But I know you can do it. Just stay focused and think about how much college tuition is. That makes you want to work harder cuz you don't want to waste money.

Good luck!
  • hilsahilsa - Posts: 2,328 Senior Member
    What about non Asians?
    ^^^^ROOFFFLLLL....lol....asian sterotypes are hilarous lol.....
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,961 Senior Member
    hilsa: even if said in jest, that is a pretty offensive statement.
  • nahshimshimhaeyonahshimshimhaeyo Registered User Posts: 386 Member
    What about non Asians?
    white girls who wanna help crazy people can't compare to asians in any way :)
    ^^^^ bluebayou, I don't think she was trying to be offensive...I am asian and I thought it was hilarous....its fun to see the sterotypes of ourselves once in a while lol......
This discussion has been closed.