Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Just got off emory's waitlist!!!!!

2»

Replies to: Just got off emory's waitlist!!!!!

• onedayatatimeonedayatatime Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    Did you get rejected from Emory and Vanderbilt?
  • divingforrosesdivingforroses Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Oh, man, I can't compete with some of these kids. I go to a rural public school with almost no AP's. I do everything I can and my test scores are good, but I have nothing on that curriculum.
  • jlee98jlee98 Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    @divingforroses
    i got accepted and my school doesnt offer APs or IB or Honors.
    there's still hope
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    Divingforroses:
    You're evaluated in context of your school. A counselor fills out a school report indicating which classes were offered. The thing is, most people at Emory came from one of two school types: good suburban publics/charters or private schools, hence why they could take a lot of APs, they were offered. I wouldn't stress too much if y ou took the most rigorous course load available.

Anecdote: My friend goes to Columbia and one of his best friends is from rural Kentucky and took one AP. Had he done that at my high school, he probably would have been rejected. But since that Kentucky high school only offered one AP, he could get in since he took the most rigorous course work available.
  • EmoryAlumEmoryAlum Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Damn, for a Texas kid you sure didn't apply to very many Texas schools.

No Baylor?

No Trinity?

No SMU?

Also, what exactly is you verbal/math SAT score breakdown?
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    In the Western states, the privates are generally seen as inferior to the top publics (exception: Stanford and Cal Tech). Not that surprising that op only applied to a top Texas school he knew he'd get into, since the other private options are seen as more expensive/ academically inferior to TAMU/ UT-Austin.
2»
This discussion has been closed.