Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Emory pre-med rigor?

2»

Replies to: Emory pre-med rigor?

• keikoblue2keikoblue2 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    ^ All the replies I've read were: Yes. There are plenty of opportunities for undergraduates to get involved in research and internship. On Facebook, the Emory Class of 2014 group had a response in the discussion section that said:
    "worrying about getting experience here is not an issue. i've gotten my share already, although not at emory yet. ive participated in real surgeries (i mean legit participated), performed autopsies, worked with pediatrics, worked in EMS (im an emt) etc etc etc. emory prepares you.
    for places around here you could get experience at... well heres a list:
    1. Many Opportunities: Georgia Regional Hospital
    3. Recruit Volunteers & Speak Out: American Kidney Fund
    4. Wellness Education: Dekalb County Board of Health
    5. Hospital Volunteering: Atlanta Medical Center
    6. Activities with Patients & Families: Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston
    7. Greet Patients & Patient Service: Emory University Hospital
    8. Read to Children: Reach Out & Read at Children's Healthcare
    9. Many Opportunities: American Red Cross
    10. Sort Medical Supplies: Medshare International
    11. Fun Activities with Residents: Sunbridge Healthcare
    12. Ready, Set, Read: Lindbergh Children's Center Clinic
    13. Global Health: Global Health Action
    14. Gain Excellent Experience: Grady Health System
    15. Explore Healthcare Careers: Project Health Care
    17. Help Terminally Ill Patients: VistaCare Hospice
    18. Pathfinder Volunteers Needed: Piedmont Hospital

Thats only a few because i didnt feel like spamming this page. you will have PLENTY of chances for work if you are premed here."
  • keikoblue2keikoblue2 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    On another note, what about premed advising? I heard it was... unfriendly and unhelpful... :(
  • maddenmdmaddenmd Registered User Posts: 389 Member
    Note: this thread was started in 2009- so the OP would already have matriculated somewhere. If s/he is still reading these...maybe you can let everyone know how it turned out?
  • Biomajor13Biomajor13 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Emory just started up their Pre Health Mentoring Office, and they are a huge help! They hold programs throughout the year for premeds. You can set up a meeting with a premed advisor at any time, and they are very receptive and truly want you to succeed. Each student is assigned an individual advisor as well who really learns a lot about you as a student and your life at Emory.

From what I have heard, just in the first year of the Prehealth office's existence they have already seen an increase in med school acceptances, but the official info has yet to be released.
2»
This discussion has been closed.